This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.28 / 51°16'48"N
Longitude: 1.0786 / 1°4'43"E
OS Eastings: 614802
OS Northings: 157934
OS Grid: TR148579
Mapcode National: GBR TY2.PHY
Mapcode Global: VHLGM.N322
Entry Name: 24, High Street
Listing Date: 7 September 1973
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1260886
English Heritage Legacy ID: 170646
Location: Canterbury, Kent, CT1
Electoral Ward/Division: Westgate
Built-Up Area: Canterbury
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
944 HIGH STREET
(North East Side)
TR 1457 NE 4/508
This building is on the site of the King's Mill, granted by King Stephen
to St Augustine's Abbey in 1144 recovered by the crown and granted to Rohesia,
sister of St Thomas Becket in 1174. Traces of masonry at the base of the
river front elevation could be the remains of the mill. The present building
is early C19. L-shaped. 2 to 3 storeys buff brick. Slate roof with wooden
modillion cornice. Sash windows with stone heads and wooden cills with glazing
bars intact except for 1 on the ground floor. No 23 has a plain right side
round-headed doorcase. No 24 has a good doorcase with a deep open pedimented
wooden hood having 2 plain Tuscan columns and 2 plain pilasters. Semi-circular
fanlight with fine glazing bars and 6 fielded panelled door.
The Public Library and Museum at Beaney Institute, Nos 20, 20A, 21, 24
& King's Bridge form a group.
Listing NGR: TR1480257941
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings