History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Water Tower House at King George Pumping Station

A Grade II Listed Building in Enfield Lock, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6629 / 51°39'46"N

Longitude: -0.0165 / 0°0'59"W

OS Eastings: 537281

OS Northings: 197873

OS Grid: TQ372978

Mapcode National: GBR KN.SLH

Mapcode Global: VHGQ8.NGML

Entry Name: Water Tower House at King George Pumping Station

Listing Date: 25 September 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1260935

English Heritage Legacy ID: 200826

Location: Enfield, London, E4

County: London

District: Enfield

Electoral Ward/Division: Enfield Lock

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St James Enfield Highway

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Enfield Lock

Listing Text

In the entry for:-

Swan and Pike Lane
TQ 39 NE (east side)
21/288
Water Tower House at King
George Pumping Station

II GV

The description shall be amended to read:-

Water Tower House. Open 1913. Designed by William Booth Bryan for Metropolitan
Water Board. English bond brick with limestone ashlar dressings: Edwardian Baroque
style. Canted ends, each of 3 bays, have rusticated brick pilasters flanking
full-height semi-circular arched entry flanked by similar window openings: each end
is framed by Tuscan columns supporting entablature with plain ashlar parapet.
Entablature is continued across long side walls, which have similar window to centre
of north elevation, and commemorative plaque set in similar architrave to south,
framed by Tuscan columns supporting entablature. Interior: 4 cast-iron water towers
with steel-plate tops.
(The Engineer, March 14, 1913, pp.269-275).

------------------------------------



SWAN AND PIKE LANE
TQ 39 NE
(east side)
21/288 Water Tower House at
King George Pumping
Station

II GV

Water Tower House. Opened 1913. Designed by William Booth Bryan for Metropolitan
Water Board. English bond brick with limestone ashlar dressings: Edwardian Baroque
style. Canted ends, each of 3 bays, have rusticated brick pilasters flanking full-
height semi-circular arched entry flanked by similar window openings: each end
is framed by Tuscan columns supporting entablature with plain ashlar parapet.
Entablature is continued across long side walls, which have similar window to centre
of north elevation, and commemorative plaque set in similar architrave to south,
framed by Tuscan columns supporting entablature. Interior: 5 cast-iron water towers
with steel-plate tops.
(The Engineer, March 14, 1913, pp.269-275).


Listing NGR: TQ3728197873

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.