History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Stables and Forge, Joliffe Yard

A Grade II Listed Building in Merstham, Surrey

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2727 / 51°16'21"N

Longitude: -0.1504 / 0°9'1"W

OS Eastings: 529116

OS Northings: 154244

OS Grid: TQ291542

Mapcode National: GBR JHP.4SY

Mapcode Global: VHGS4.B8TN

Entry Name: Former Stables and Forge, Joliffe Yard

Listing Date: 7 July 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1260980

English Heritage Legacy ID: 289591

Location: Reigate and Banstead, Surrey, RH1

County: Surrey

District: Reigate and Banstead

Electoral Ward/Division: Merstham

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Redhill

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey

Church of England Parish: Merstham

Church of England Diocese: Southwark

Find accommodation in
Coulsdon

Listing Text

The following item shall be added to the list:

TQ 25 SE MERSTHAM LONDON ROAD NORTH
(east side, off)
23/272

Former stables and
forge, Joliffe Yard
GV
II

Forge and stables, now garage. C1809, altered. Pinkish brick with some red brick
dressings and some weatherboard; Welsh slate roof. Long 1 and 2-storey range,
with flat-roofed additions at either end not of special interest. On left are 3
large, full-height, basket-arched entrances with red-brick arches and later
boarding and board doors. Right-hand section, slightly recessed, has pilaster
butresses, a wide doorway with board door inserted between 2 of these on right,
with top of another pilaster and a 2-light window above; to its left a segmental-
arched 2-light window with vents in diamond pattern above; a blocked segmental-
arched opening on far left; and a single-flue stack in front roof pitch. This
building was erected as part of the terminus of the Surrey Iron Railway which was
a plateway for horse-drawn waggons which ran between Wandsworth and Merstham. The
railway was sanctioned by Parliament in 1803 and the Merstham end was officially
opened in 1805. This building is of historic interest in being a rare survival
from the earliest days of railway-building construction.


Listing NGR: TQ2911654244

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.