History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Willey Toll House

A Grade II Listed Building in Broseley, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6027 / 52°36'9"N

Longitude: -2.4828 / 2°28'58"W

OS Eastings: 367397

OS Northings: 300656

OS Grid: SJ673006

Mapcode National: GBR BW.93GW

Mapcode Global: WH9DG.TVW2

Entry Name: Willey Toll House

Listing Date: 31 December 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1261446

English Heritage Legacy ID: 255068

Location: Broseley, Shropshire, TF12

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Broseley

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Broseley with Benthall and Jackfield

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Broseley

Listing Text

1. BROSELEY BROSELEY

5357 B4376
(South Side)
SJ 674007 9/273 Willey Toll House

II

2.

Former toll house. Early C19, extended mid C19. Red brick in part formerly
stuccoed and in part whitewashed. Plain-tile pyramidal roof with centre stack
to original part; plain-tile roof with brick end stack to extension. Octagonal
plan with extension to right. Single storey and basement. Tudor-Gothic style.
To left a Tudor-arched doorway and studded door with flat hood on brackets.
Most sides have 2-centre arched window openings in part with frames with simple
tracery lights. Plinth, band and crenellated parapet. Extension to right has
window opening and, on right end, a small 2-centre arched window,
part-projecting end stack, and small basement lean-to. To rear are doorways to
basements. A new turnpike road was opened in 1808, and the 1838 Broseley tithe
map shows an octagonal building at the site of the toll house; the tithe award
indicating that it was owned by Lord Forester, occupied by the Commissioners of
Road and relet to Edward Price.

(Ironbridge Gorge Museum Archaeology Unit Report, 1987).


Listing NGR: SJ6739700656

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.