History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Station Goods Shed

A Grade II Listed Building in Horley, Surrey

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1715 / 51°10'17"N

Longitude: -0.1613 / 0°9'40"W

OS Eastings: 528640

OS Northings: 142970

OS Grid: TQ286429

Mapcode National: GBR JJV.G1N

Mapcode Global: VHGSJ.5T29

Entry Name: Station Goods Shed

Listing Date: 27 May 1993

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1261682

English Heritage Legacy ID: 289664

Location: Horley, Reigate and Banstead, Surrey, RH6

County: Surrey

District: Reigate and Banstead

Civil Parish: Horley

Built-Up Area: Horley

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey

Church of England Parish: Horley

Church of England Diocese: Southwark

Find accommodation in
Horley

Listing Text

The following building shall be added:

TQ 24 SE HORLEY HIGH STREET

187-/5/10009 Station goods shed


- II

Former Engine shed now warehouse. 1838-40 built for the London to Brighton Railway,
possibly by David Mocatta (1806-82) who designed the original railway buildings for this line.
Classical style. Built of brown brick in Flemish bond with stone dressings. Roof now covered
in C20 pantiles. 15 bays in length. Ends have stone pediments each with red brick oculus,
now bricked in. Dentil cornice. South end has 2 round-headed stone arches with keystones,
now bricked in with one later C19 sash with vertical glazing bars and 1 C20 window. Flanking
pilasters. North end has 3 round-headed arches with keystones of which the central is still
open, those at the side blocked. West side has central round-headed arch with keystone, now
bricked in. 6 windows to south retain round-headed metal casements. To north only the top
halves are visible as the lower part has been bricked in. East side also has central arch bricked
in and round-headed windows with only the top halves now visible. Interior has suspended
late C20 ceiling but original roof structure probably survives above. This building is shown on
maps of 1838-40. Only 2 early railway lines were built in Surrey and this is the only original
building of the London to Brighton railway to survive in Surrey.


Listing NGR: TQ2864042970

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.