This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.2814 / 51°16'53"N
Longitude: 1.0832 / 1°4'59"E
OS Eastings: 615118
OS Northings: 158099
OS Grid: TR151580
Mapcode National: GBR TY2.QNY
Mapcode Global: VHLGM.Q2J0
Entry Name: Building Adjoining Green Court to Left gateway from Court
Listing Date: 3 December 1949
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1261721
English Heritage Legacy ID: 170567
Location: Canterbury, Kent, CT1
Electoral Ward/Division: Westgate
Built-Up Area: Canterbury
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
944 THE CATHEDRAL PRECINCTS
3.12.49. Gateway from Green Court.
Green Court to left
TR 1558 SW 3/16A
A C12 arch with a pedestrian and a carriage arch. Stone faced. The arch
has some beautiful carving and capitals. Corbels. Above the arch are 2
blocked round-headed windows and 1 double mullioned and transomed window.
One of the walls has graffiti carved by past generations of pupils at the
King's School. The earliest is dated 1649. To the left is a 2 storeyed
hall all that remains of the C12 north Hall. The ground floor is arcaded
with groin vaults the lst floor has 9 arched window openings, The upper
floor was rebuilt in 1843 by George Auster.
Nos 20 to 29A (consec), Pilgrim's or Pentise entry attached to No 29,
wall in garden of No 29, wall and gatepiers between Nos 28 and 29,
Gateway from Green Court and building adjoining to left, King's School
Libraray and Normann Staircase form a group.
Listing NGR: TR1511858099
Other nearby listed buildings