History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Grace Dieu Manor Preparatory School

A Grade II Listed Building in Belton, Leicestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.7571 / 52°45'25"N

Longitude: -1.3531 / 1°21'11"W

OS Eastings: 443756

OS Northings: 317914

OS Grid: SK437179

Mapcode National: GBR 7JH.0RT

Mapcode Global: WHDHN.5YYR

Entry Name: Grace Dieu Manor Preparatory School

Listing Date: 27 September 1962

Last Amended: 16 January 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1261838

English Heritage Legacy ID: 436471

Location: Belton, North West Leicestershire, Leicestershire, LE67

County: Leicestershire

District: North West Leicestershire

Civil Parish: Belton

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire

Church of England Parish: Belton St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Leicester

Find accommodation in
Belton

Listing Text

BELTON ASHBY ROAD
SK 41 NW
6/1 Grace Dieu Manor
27.9.62 Preparatory School
(formerly listed as Grace
Dieu Manor House)
GV
II

Former mansion, now school. 1833-4, by William Railton with alterations to chapel 1841, addition of aisle 1848, addition of east wing and stable court gateway c1846, by Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin for Ambrose Lisle March Phillips de Lisle, a promoter of the Catholic Revival. Altered early 1900s for Booth family, with some work by Sir Banister Fletcher. Other minor alterations 1930s and 40s. School extensions to rear are mid 1960s and not of special architectural interest. Colourwash render with stone dressings, Welsh slate roofs to main house, Swithland slate roofs to chapel and east wing. Original block is double pile, with chapel wing to west, kitchen wing to north, and stables enclosing north side of courtyard. Stables and kitchen wing have 1930s lean-to extensions, and courtyard is crossed by early C20 covered passages. Pugin wing projecting to east originally built as a children's wing. MAIN BLOCK is in Tudor style and is of 2 storeys and attic. 3-bay south front, 2-bay east front. Chamfered stone plinth, string courses at floor levels, stone coping to parapets and gables. Windows have hollow-chamfered stone mullions and transoms, upper lights with 4-centred heads and moulded spandrels, and wooden glazing bars. Rendered and colourwashed chimneys with groups of tall square, round and octagonal shafts. South front has 2-storey rectangular projection to left, ashlar-fronted, with parapet and 3-light windows. Lower window is ovolo-moulded and replaces former doorway. Single light to first floor left and left return. Centre bay has 3-light ground floor window, canted oriel above with parapet and moulded corbel base, and single light in small gable. Gables have stepped bases. Right bay is gabled and projecting, with 4-light ground floor window, 5-light first floor window, and 3-light attic window. 2 dormers, the left gabled. East front of block has 3-light windows and gabled dormer to left, and gabled right bay with 2-storey ashlar bay window. Beyond is the PUGIN WING, also of 2 storeys and attic but more austere in style. This has steep roof with stone coped gable and rectangular rendered chimneys. 3 bays of 3-light windows with chamfered stone mullions, the ground floor and right bay windows with transoms. 2 gabled dormers. Between right bays is a semi-octagonal stair turret with octagonal pyramid roof and small single lights. At right end is a shorter narrow bay with cross windows and C20 fire escape to gable. Rear of wing has similar windows cellar openings and 2 doors with 4-centred heads. Set back at left end of main block is a WATER TOWER of 3 stages with ashlar top stage, battlemented parapet and traceried wooden bellcote with lead spirelet and weathervane. South side of tower has carved clock-face with sun motif, 2-light transomed window, and
armorial plaque over double doors in moulded 4-centred arch with Tudor hood-
mould. To left again is CHAPEL, with off-set buttresses and 4 bays of 2-light
traceried windows. 4-centred arch in small spur wall at angle to left end.
Gable end with 3-light traceried window and arched door in ashlar-fronted
porch. Beyond are a small tower with octagonal top, an aisle by Pugin with
3-light traceried window, and a sacristy with 2 cusped lights,early C20 arched
doorway and C20 dormers. Arched entry to courtyard, with hipped roof and de
Lisle ciphers on tablets. INTERIOR: original parts of house have Tudor fire-
places to ground floor, and 4-centred passage arches. Some 4-panelled doors
with 4-centred heads, simple panelling. Stone arcade in-entrance hall by
Banister Fletcher, c1900. Former entrance hall with painting of Saints Thomas
of Canterbury and Edward the Confessor. Chapel has altered chancel but retains
original roof, floor tiles and glass. Pugin aisle has scissor-braced roof,
3-bay arcade, and fine stone baldacchino by Pugin in Gothic style with traceried
gables. Fittings include cusped piscina, 2 plaster statues in canopied wooden
niches, screen to front of aisle chapel by Pugin, bell by Pugin, tabernacle by
Pugin, and Easter Sepulcre in form of altar tomb.


Listing NGR: SK4375617914

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.