This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.7784 / 50°46'42"N
Longitude: 0.2644 / 0°15'52"E
OS Eastings: 559743
OS Northings: 100085
OS Grid: TQ597000
Mapcode National: GBR MV7.1PH
Mapcode Global: FRA C7F1.4TS
Entry Name: Church of St Michael and All Angels
Listing Date: 22 October 1992
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1262164
English Heritage Legacy ID: 293636
Location: Eastbourne, East Sussex, BN21
County: East Sussex
Electoral Ward/Division: Old Town
Built-Up Area: Eastbourne
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex
Church of England Parish: Eastbourne St Michael and All Angels
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
EASTBOURNE WILLINGDON ROAD
TQ 59 00
11/10004 Church of St Michael
and All Angels
Church. Designed by G.E.S Streatfield in Decorated Gothic revival
style. Chancel vestry and Lady Chapel erected in 1901 (with a
temporary iron nave). Nave aisles and tower erected in 1911. Built of
unknapped flint with stone dressings and Westmoreland slate roof. West
tower, south porch, nave, aisles chancel, north east lady chapel and
south east vestry. Tower of 3 stages with buttresses surmounted by
weathervane. Bellstage has 2 half-blocked arches with double
cinquefoil-headed lights to each face. Gabled south porch with 4-
centred arched entrance with decorated spandrels. Nave has 10
clerestory windows and 4 windows to aisle. Gabled vestry with paired
arched windows to south, and to east triple then 7 light cinquefoil
windows, Chancel has large rose window with band of chequered flint
and stone above with buttresses. Lady Chapel has 2 arched windows.
Interior has 5 bay nave with pointed arches on octagonal piers. Roof
of arched traced type with ogee tension braces. Chancel of 3 bays with
clerestory. East window has stained glass of Christ in Majesty flanked
by 4 archangels. To south is window depicting St Agatha and St Clare
by school of William Morris. Lady Chapel has king post roof and
stained glass window depicting Dorcas, also school of William Morris.
Pulpit, choir stalls, lectern and organ chamber are original.
Listing NGR: TQ5974300085
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings