History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Market Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Longnor, Staffordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1815 / 53°10'53"N

Longitude: -1.8686 / 1°52'6"W

OS Eastings: 408879

OS Northings: 364940

OS Grid: SK088649

Mapcode National: GBR 358.GDY

Mapcode Global: WHCDB.89GB

Entry Name: The Market Hall

Listing Date: 5 June 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1262213

English Heritage Legacy ID: 274283

Location: Longnor, Staffordshire Moorlands, Staffordshire, SK17

County: Staffordshire

District: Staffordshire Moorlands

Civil Parish: Longnor

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Church of England Parish: Longnor St Bartholomew

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Longnor

Listing Text

SK 06 SE LONGNOR C.P. MARKET PLACE

5/69 The Market Hall
-

GV II

Market Hall. Dated 1873. Coursed and squared rubble with ashlar quoin
strips and dressings; blue machine tile roof; verge parapets. Of eclectic
style with classical, Gothic and Flemish influences. Single-storey, three-
bay front, outer, recessed 3-light mullioned windows in panels with mod-
illions at head of rebates, frieze and cornice over to parapet, ball
finials at angles; central break to entrance bay taken up to cusped
shaped gable, corniced at shoulders with ball and obelisk finials and
strapwork consoles to flanking parapet; carved stone Crewe and Harpur
arms, armorial emblems and datestone set over painted plaque of market
tariffs, all within gable and over round-arched entrance; moulded
surround and imposts and C20 doors with fanlight. Round-arch windows
to gable ends with simple tracery. Identifies the definitive village
centre, visible from some considerable distance, well set-off against
the church to the north.


Listing NGR: SK0887964940

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.