History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary Magdalene

A Grade II* Listed Building in Woodstock, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8473 / 51°50'50"N

Longitude: -1.357 / 1°21'25"W

OS Eastings: 444386

OS Northings: 216716

OS Grid: SP443167

Mapcode National: GBR 7WH.5QR

Mapcode Global: VHCX6.FTFR

Entry Name: Church of St Mary Magdalene

Listing Date: 18 October 1949

Last Amended: 27 July 1988

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1262223

English Heritage Legacy ID: 435556

Location: Woodstock, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX20

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Woodstock

Built-Up Area: Woodstock

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Woodstock

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Woodstock

Listing Text

WOODSTOCK PARK STREET
SP4416NW (South side)
9/217 Church of St. Mary Magdalene
18/10/49 (Formerly listed as Church of
St. Mary Magdalen)
GV II*
Church. Late C12, enlarged in later medieval period and rebuilt by A.W.
Blomfield in 1878, who built north aisle; west tower by John Yenn, 1785.
Limestone rubble and squared and coursed limestone with ashlar quoins and
dressings; limestone ashlar west tower. Gabled stone slate chancel roof and
concrete tile north aisle roof; other shallow-pitched roofs of lead. Chancel,
aisled nave and west tower. Late C19 five-light east window of intersecting
tracery. 8-bay north aisle, with buttressed walls and crenellated parapet, has
2- and 3-light Decorated-style windows. 2-bay south side of chancel has early
C14 two-light rectilinear window, C13 buttress, a C15 pointed arched blocked
door and a C15 three-light window with panel tracery. South aisle:
segmental-arched late C13 three-light trefoil-headed east window; late C19
buttresses; late C12 doorway, of 2 orders with zig-zag mouldings divided by roll
moulding; two mid C13 plate-tracery windows; late C19 two-light
geometrical-style windows to west. Late C15 five-bay clerestorey with 3-light
ogee-headed windows. Early C14 five-light Curvilinear west window. C15 west
porch has offset corner buttresses, canopied niche over pointed moulded doorway,
and 2-light cinquefoiled windows: early C14 pointed moulded west doorway, with
head stops to labels. West tower, built 1785; rusticated quoin strips; bracketed
cornice over heavy panelled north door; first-floor windows with leaded-lights,
set in semi-circular arched architraves with impost-and keyblocks; next stage
has clocks with swag surrounds to each side; upper stage has semi-circular
arched windows, each framed by arch of blocked voussoirs, Doric pilasters and
apron, set within blind arches. Dentilled cornice; balustraded parapet with
corner finials. Interior: coloured tile reredos and trefoiled piscina of 1878;
C15 moulded pointed arched doorway to north. Late C19 triple arcade to north
chapel, which has late C19 archways to vestry and north aisle; organ loft in
North Chapel has finely-carved Jacobean frieze. Late C19 chancel arch. C15 rood
screen, has double-leaf doors and open tracery to upper panels with brattished
cornice. Late C16/early C17 three-and-a-half bay roof, arch-braced with moulded
ashlar plate and carved pendentives to false hammer beams. Late C19 five-bay
nave arcades: south arcade has three C13 capitals with carved heads set in
stiff-leaf foliage, and a C13 carved capital. Late C19 wood pulpit and bronze
lectern; C15 octagonal stone front with blind tracery; C14 trefoiled piscina in
south aisle. Nave has late C15 six-bay tie-beam roof; braces, sprung from late
C19 corbels, have traceried spandrels; carved bosses to soffits of tie beans;
moulded and brattished ashlar plate; mouchettes carved in spandrels of roof.
Late C15 south aisle roof with moulded beams. Monuments in south aisle: brass of
Richard Bailly d.1441; C18 and C19 memorial tablets; at west end of aisle is
brass of Hieronimum Keyt, d.1631, showing him kneeling at prayer; monument to
Jerome Keyt, d.1631, has oval tablet set in coloured architectural frame with
shaped pediment set over heraldic achievement set in broken pediment.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: pp856-7)


Listing NGR: SP4438616716

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.