This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9519 / 50°57'6"N
Longitude: 0.734 / 0°44'2"E
OS Eastings: 592131
OS Northings: 120498
OS Grid: TQ921204
Mapcode National: GBR RZ1.6DC
Mapcode Global: FRA D6FL.FSN
Entry Name: Whitefriars
Listing Date: 12 October 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1262722
English Heritage Legacy ID: 291941
Location: Rye, Rother, East Sussex, TN31
County: East Sussex
Civil Parish: Rye
Built-Up Area: Rye
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex
Church of England Parish: Rye
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
1578 CONDUIT HILL
TQ 9220 1/97 12.10.51.
Now the Headquarters of the St John's Ambulance Brigade of Rye. The house
consists of 2 wings and a slight projection to the north. The west wing has
a plastered front on the south side which probably dates from the C17 and
may conceal an earlier timber-framed building beneath it. On the north side
this wing has an C18 front of brick on the ground floor, hung with tiles
above and a bay window. This wing has 2 storeys and attic and 3 windows.
To the west of this is an C18 wing built in 2 sections with 2 gables towards
Conduit Hill and a mansard roof on the north and south sides. This has 3
storeys with 1 window on the south side and 2 windows on the north side.
The ground floor has an arcade on the north side, above, it is hung with
tiles. Tiled roof. Wooden eaves cornice. On the south side there is a
small 2 storey addition joining the 2 wings. The doorway is at the side
in Conduit Hill and has a flat hood over it supported on brackets. Massive
chimney on west side.
Listing NGR: TQ9214020504
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings