History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Pavilion at Ngr 42789 26480

A Grade II Listed Building in Warwick, Warwickshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2807 / 52°16'50"N

Longitude: -1.5926 / 1°35'33"W

OS Eastings: 427889

OS Northings: 264805

OS Grid: SP278648

Mapcode National: GBR 5M4.S7N

Mapcode Global: VHBXH.BYX0

Entry Name: Pavilion at Ngr 42789 26480

Listing Date: 24 August 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1263388

English Heritage Legacy ID: 307719

Location: Warwick, Warwick, Warwickshire, CV34

County: Warwickshire

District: Warwick

Civil Parish: Warwick

Built-Up Area: Warwick

Traditional County: Warwickshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire

Church of England Parish: Warwick St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Coventry

Find accommodation in
Warwick

Listing Text

The following building shall be added:-

WARWICK
SP2764 LINEN STREET
811-0/8/10006 Hill Close Gardens: Pavilion at
NGR 42789-26480

GV II
Detached town garden pavilion. Circa 1870-80. Red brick with some, stone dressings.
Steeply-pitched plain tile roof with gable to front and rear, the front with pierced wavey
bargeboards, the rear gable has brick stack. Small square 1-room plan building entered from
the west front, over a basement entered from thr right [south] side. 1 storey and basement.
Gabled west front with central round-headed doorway with semi-circular fanlight, keystone
and stone imposts shared with flanking narrow round-headed windows with stone cills and
patches of render below. The jambs of the doorway and windows are chamfered. The steps
up to the door, the door and the sashes are missing. South side has cambered arches to
basement doorway and window. INTERIOR: The matchboarding on the walls, the
chimneypiece and the ceiling are partly missing. Hill Close Gardens were established in about
1846 as pleasure garden allotments and by 1877 there were 37 garden plots. They were laid
out as detached gardens for town houses without gardens. SOURCES: Lambert, David.
Study of Detached Town Gardens commissioned by English Heritage, 1994. Warwickshire
Gardens Trust, Hill Close Gardens Preliminary Report.


Listing NGR: SP2788964805

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.