This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3708 / 51°22'14"N
Longitude: -0.364 / 0°21'50"W
OS Eastings: 513976
OS Northings: 164795
OS Grid: TQ139647
Mapcode National: GBR 5P.GWL
Mapcode Global: VHFTZ.MTX0
Entry Name: Cannon Cinema
Listing Date: 13 June 1991
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1263552
English Heritage Legacy ID: 287063
Location: Elmbridge, Surrey, KT10
Electoral Ward/Division: Esher
Built-Up Area: Esher
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Esher
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
TQ 16 SW ESHER HIGH STREET
5/456 Cannon Cinema
(formerly Embassy Cinema)
Cinema. 1936-1937 by John Evelyn Nye for the Shipman and King
circuit, forming part of a parade of shops not of special
interest. Neo- Georgian exterior with modern interior. Brown
brick in English bond with artificial stone dressings. Hipped
roof covered in asbestos sheeting. Coved stone cornice and panel
below with word "EMBASSY". 3 tall round-headed windows with
keystones and casements with metal bars and central opening
lights. Late C20 fascia and 5 double doors in late C20
aluminium. Original terrazzo steps in black, white, red and
buff. Foyer has original fibrous plaster domed lighting. The
auditorium retains its circle and stalls undivided, the slates
having an unusual double rake designed to save time and expense
in the excavation cost. Auditorium decoration by Mollo & Egan.
Ante-Proscenium walls are broken up into squares backed by
patterned grilles and illuminated from the rear. These grilles
serve both as ventilation extract and organ chamber openings.
The main ceiling is split up into squares, above which a fluted
bay is illuminated by indirect lighting troughs. Circle walls
have modernistic designs representing trees and plants (now
covered over). Original domed lighting underneath balcony and
cylindrical lighting to circle survives. 2 decorative iron
grilles in front of proscenium arch.
[see 'THE IDEAL KINEMA' SEPT 9 1937
'EMBASSY ESHER SOUVENIR PROGRAMME' AUGUST 23 1937
"THE PICTURE PALACE" DENNIS SHARP, 1969
CATHEDRALS OF THE MOVIES" DAVID ATWELL, 1980]
Listing NGR: TQ1397664795
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings