History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Garden Causeway at Copt Hall and Attached Ha Ha and Terrace Wall to West of Copt Hall (In the Parish of Epping Upland)

A Grade II Listed Building in Waltham Abbey, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.694 / 51°41'38"N

Longitude: 0.0661 / 0°3'57"E

OS Eastings: 542897

OS Northings: 201491

OS Grid: TL428014

Mapcode National: GBR LFD.RJ9

Mapcode Global: VHHML.3P97

Entry Name: Garden Causeway at Copt Hall and Attached Ha Ha and Terrace Wall to West of Copt Hall (In the Parish of Epping Upland)

Listing Date: 30 November 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1263596

English Heritage Legacy ID: 117722

Location: Waltham Abbey, Epping Forest, Essex, CM16

County: Essex

District: Epping Forest

Civil Parish: Waltham Abbey

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Upshire St Thomas

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Epping

Listing Text

Garden causeway at Copt
1.
1767
TL 40 SW
Hall and attached ha-ha
and terrace wall to the
west of Copt Hall (in the
7/195 Parish of Epping Upland)
GV II
2.
Garden causeway, c.1895, by C E Kempe for Edward James Wythes. Built of brick
with facing of squared and coursed limestone and ashlar coping. The causeway
extends approx 60 m on an east-west axis having a rusticated through-arch and
the remains of stone steps leading down to sunken parterres which lie to north
and south of causeway. The causeway is attached on its eastern end to the
centre of a terrace wall, which borders east sides of parterres and runs to meet
garden pavilions (qv) at its north and south ends. West end of causeway has
semi-circular projection, forming part of ha-ha wall which extends approx 40 m
to south and in an L shape approx 70 m to north-west. The causeway has had
balustrading, obelisks and statuary removed, and formed part of a formal garden
laid out in Edwardian Baroque style, after the type advocated by Reginald
Blomfield in his book 'The Formal Garden in England', 1892.


Listing NGR: TL4289701491

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.