This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6619 / 51°39'42"N
Longitude: 0.8304 / 0°49'49"E
OS Eastings: 595851
OS Northings: 199696
OS Grid: TQ958996
Mapcode National: GBR RPG.LS1
Mapcode Global: VHKH3.BHVB
Entry Name: Church of St Leonard
Listing Date: 30 December 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1264082
English Heritage Legacy ID: 428723
Location: Southminster, Maldon, Essex, CM0
Civil Parish: Southminster
Built-Up Area: Southminster
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Southminster St Leonard
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TQ 94/9599 SOUTHMINSTER HIGH STREET
12/131 Church of St. Leonard
Parish church. Nave shows 3 distinct heights of building, C12 septaria, rubble
and Roman brick, C15 flint clerestory, C19 gault brick over. West tower base
C12 of septaria and rubble, raised C15, repairs of red brick, flint flushwork
gables. C15 north porch, flint with stone dressings circa 1820 Chancel,
sanctuary, north and south transepts rendered brick. Bomb damage 1940. C20
concrete pantiles. Full height Chancel, sanctuary, north and south transepts for
Dr. Alexander Scott, a former naval officer. Symmetrical. 5 angled gables, 2
light ogee windows, moulded 2 centre arched heads and labels to 2nd and 4th
angles. Left and right corner turrets with slanting roofs. Transepts gabled to
north and south with 3 stage angle buttresses. 4 cinquefoil lights witn
reticulated tracery over, moulded 2 centre arched heads, label over. Doorway to
west wall of north transept, sunk chamfered segmental pointed arch, sunk
spandrels, flat head, label over. Small plastered lean-to extension to east
wall of south transept. Nave, 2 north wall C15 clerestorey windows of 3
trefoiled lights, under square heads. East window of 2 cinquefoil lights,
tracery over under a square head, label over. C15 north doorway, moulded jambs,
re-set 2 centre arched head, label with headstops. 4 similar clerestorey
windows to south wall, all partly restored. 3 windows to south wall, those to
east and west of 2 cinquefoil lights, tracery over, under square heads, labels
over. Between western and central windows part of a large red brick C12 round
headed arch is visible. Central C15 window, 2 cinquefoil lights, tracery over
under 4 centre arched head, label over. West of this window is the early C12
doorway with plain jambs, imposts and round head. C19 sundial and medieval
scratch dial adjacent to east of doorway. To the north west of Nave is a stair
turret with 2 small loop lights and lean-to roof. West tower of 3 stages, only
the upper stage visible externaly. C15 moulded cornice with carved ball
flowers, flint flushwork to shallow north and south gables. Iron ties to east
and west walls. 5 stage buttress to south west angle. 2 stage buttress to north
west angle. West door, C15 restored, double chamfered jambs, 2 centre arched
head, label over. C19 vertically boarded door with strap hinges. C15 restored
window above door. Of 2 cinquefoil lights under a square head, label over.
Clock over north face stair turret. Second stage of south face has a C15 window
with trefoil head, much eroded. Band and C15 partly restored windows of 2
trefoiled lights under square heads to each face of the bell chamber. C15 2
storey north porch. Crenellated, moulded band, moulded plinth. 3-stage
buttresses to left and right. Each return wall has 2 windows of 2 cinquefoil
lights, moulded labels. Those to ground floor with segmental arches, first
floor, with square heads. Gargoyle to left return. 2 centred outer archway of 2
moulded orders, the inner resting on shafts with moulded capitals and bases.
Moulded label with head stops. Above the archway are 3 niches, each with
buttressed jambs, cusped, crocketted and finialed canopies and moulded cills
carved with 3 heads, angels or shields. The C15 north doorway with moulded
jambs, 2 centre arched head and label. A stoup to left of this door with
cusping, ogee head and round drain. Interior. North porch. The ground. floor
vaulted stone ceiling springs from angle shafts with moulded and crenellated
capitals and moulded bases. Moulded ribs, carved bosses of the Trinity, Half
Angels and foliate motifs, some eroded. The first: floor with timber cambered
roof, is approached by stone stairs with central newel from a small C15 doorway
with hollow chamfered jambs and 2 centred head, in north wall of Nave, C15 door
of overlapping battens with strap hinges, similar entrance doorway to first
floor room. Nave, Chancel, north and south transepts and transept crossing,
vaulted ceilings, plastered and ribbed with bosses. C20 plastic tiled floors
throughout. Chancel, reredos C19 carved stone, double left and right panels,
crocketed and pinnacled pilasters, figures of SS. Cedd and Alban left and right
of central cusped and illuminated panel, pointed head over, illuminations of 12
Apostles, central red marble crucifix, carved stone symbols of Crucifixion to
soffit. Incorporated stone sedilia of 13 cusped and crenellated bays, one to
right with marble shelf. C20 wrought iron posts and moulded wood altar rail.
Traceried timber panelling to choir and organ. Front C15 poppy head choir
stalls, the rest C19 copies. Moulded 2 centre head Chancel arch. A chest,
table, glass fronted cupboard, looking glass and iron box fireplace, known as
The Nelson Relics and reputed to have been brought from H.M.S. Victory by Dr.
Alexander Scott, are in the transcept vestries. Nave. C19 brass eagle lectern.
C19 carved timber octagonal pulpit, 2 light tracery to panels, saints to angles.
C19/C20 stained glass and glass fragment margins and quarries to ground floor
windows, clear glass to clerestory. Memorial board relating enlargement dated
1819. 2 consecration crosses, formee on splay of south doorway, the upper
probably C12, the lower probably C15 when the church was extended by Vytoner,
Abbot of St. Osyth, Essex. Font C15. Octagonal, moulded edge, quatrefoils with
flower centres to panels. Stem with quatrefoil and cinquefoil headed panels.
Quatrefoiled base with square flowers, C19 carved timber cover. C15 2 centred
west tower arch of 3 chamfered orders, blocked round headed arch over. High up
on east wall probably C12 carved stone head. South wall, C12 blocked window.
North wall, chamfered 2 centred arched doorway. RCHM 1.
Listing NGR: TQ9585199696
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings