This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6917 / 52°41'29"N
Longitude: -1.7244 / 1°43'27"W
OS Eastings: 418725
OS Northings: 310477
OS Grid: SK187104
Mapcode National: GBR 4DS.8VK
Mapcode Global: WHCGQ.HL2V
Entry Name: The Old Rectory
Listing Date: 13 March 1991
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1264205
English Heritage Legacy ID: 272603
Location: Elford, Lichfield, Staffordshire, B79
Civil Parish: Elford
Built-Up Area: Elford
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
Church of England Parish: Elford St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
The following buildings shall be added to the list:-
SK 1810 ELFORD THE GARDENS
10/115 The Old Rectory
House, formerly rectory. Circa early C18, probably recasting of earlier
building, extended or partly rebuilt in circa mid C19. Red brick in various
bonds. Plain tile roof, hipped at centre and with parapeted gable-ended cross
wings and brick cogged eaves. Brick axial and gable-end stacks with square
yellow clay pots.
H-shaped on plan, the central range and the left (west) cross-wing appear to
be the original house, the cross wing extended by another outer range parallel
to it on the west side, and the right (east) cross-wing, circa mid C19, but
possibly a rebuilding of an earlier wing.
2 storeys. A symmetrical 1:5:1 window south front, with projecting gabled
cross wings to right and left, that to right with C19 polygonal conservatory
enclosing panelled double doors and with canted bay window above; gabled wing
on left has 3-light casement on ground floor, and canted ariel above. Centre
5-window range has brick platband at first floor level, cambered brick arch
window openings, with tall casements on right and tall 12-pane ground floor
sashed on left with small casements above; central pedimented doorcase with
glazed and panelled double doors. Right hand (east) return 3-windows, tall
sashed on ground floor, smaller above. Left hand (west) return, outer cross
wing, has various casements, the first floor with leaded panes. At rear,
gabled cross wings to right and left, that on right with casement windows and
panelled door on inner (east) side and covered walk from panelled back door
Interior: not inspected but some panelled window shutters observed.
Note: Salvin restored the Church of St Peter in 1848-9 and this may be
the date of the mid C19 work at the rectory.
Source: Kelly's Directory 1928.
Listing NGR: SK1872510477
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings