History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Martin

A Grade II* Listed Building in Fiddington, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1592 / 51°9'33"N

Longitude: -3.1229 / 3°7'22"W

OS Eastings: 321568

OS Northings: 140590

OS Grid: ST215405

Mapcode National: GBR M0.78N1

Mapcode Global: VH6GZ.T4D6

Entry Name: Church of St Martin

Listing Date: 29 March 1963

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1264213

English Heritage Legacy ID: 268886

Location: Fiddington, Sedgemoor, Somerset, TA5

County: Somerset

District: Sedgemoor

Civil Parish: Fiddington

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Stogursey

Listing Text

ST24SW FIDDINGTON CP CHURCH ROAD (East side)

3/39 Church of St Martin

29.3.63

GV II*

Parish church. C11, C14, C15, restored 1860 by John Norton. Coursed and squared red sandstone rubble, some herringbone
masonry to South wall of nave, tower roughcast, freestone dressings, slate roof, crested ridge, coped verges with
cruciform finials. Decorated and Perpendicular styles; nave with a South porch, North aisle, chancel with a North
vestry, West tower. Embattled 3-stage tower with diagonal buttresses to lower stages, small 2-light bell chamber
windows; prominent clock to South side, coloured face, gilded hands and numerals. Two bay nave, 2-light windows; on the
external South-East corner an incised Shiela-na-gig, a fertility goddess of C11 or C12; aisle of 3 bays all of 1860,
2-light Decorated style windows. Two bay chancel again with 2-light windows; 3-light East and West windows. Pilastered
nave and chancel under unceiled wagon roofs of C15, aisle with lean-to roof; shafted lofty tower arch; simple chamfered
chancel arch of 2 orders; 3 bay arcade to aisle on squat octagonal piers. C15 piscina. C15 bench ends. Jacobean pulpit
on a C19 stone base; Font in a Perpendicular style, Jacobean cover; encaustic tiles to chancel; C19 organ. C19 stained
glass; windows by Bell and Son of Bristol, 1912; A L Moore of London, 1901; Lavers, Bernard and Westlake of London,
1879. Three C19 tablets to chancel; plaque to tower screen commemorating 1860 alterations. C17 chest to North aisle;
also in the North aisle a framed copy of the church plans by Norton. (Pevsner, Buildings of England, South and West
Somerset, 1958).


Listing NGR: ST2156840590

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.