History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of the Holy Trinity

A Grade II* Listed Building in Chilton Trinity, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 51.1475 / 51°8'50"N

Longitude: -3.0072 / 3°0'25"W

OS Eastings: 329646

OS Northings: 139170

OS Grid: ST296391

Mapcode National: GBR M5.7VB7

Mapcode Global: VH7DH.TFL6

Entry Name: Church of the Holy Trinity

Listing Date: 29 March 1963

Last Amended: 24 June 1985

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1264231

English Heritage Legacy ID: 268881

Location: Chilton Trinity, Sedgemoor, Somerset, TA5

County: Somerset

District: Sedgemoor

Civil Parish: Chilton Trinity

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in

Listing Text


8/34 Church of the Holy Trinity
(formerly listed as Chilton
Trinity Church)


Parish church. Established C13, earliest recorded incumbent of 1309,
rebuilt C15, C19 restoration. Blue lias and red sandstone rubble,
freestone dressings, double Roman tile roof. Perpendicular. Nave with a
South porch, chancel, West tower. Embattled 3-stage tower, diagonal
buttresses, prominent gargoyles, stair turret; single 2-light bell
chamber windows; 3-light West window, ribbed and studded West door; both
with labels with carved head stops. Two bay nave, 2 bay chancel,
predominantly 2-light windows, each light with a foiled head, foliated
spandrels to both the inside and the outside, simple leaded lights, some
with C18 iron casements; 3-light East window. The mouldings to the
pointed arch door opening of the South porch and the tower arch are
characteristically C15, the latter shafted; simple 4-centred arch South
door opening, C15 ribbed and studded door. The chancel arch much
mutilated but with the remains of some keel mouldings. C19 wagon roofs
to nave and chancel, the latter unceiled; C15 ringing-chamber floor to
tower, Lower entrance to rood loft evident; piscina to chancel with a
foiled head. Interior with C19 fittings including pews, lectern, organ
and altar rail; C15 octagonal font with a Jacobean cover; Jacobean
pulpit; small table, splatt- back chair and 2 coffin stools of C18;
tablets to Gilbert Marshall of 1787, Susanna Graham of 1785. The church
was served by the Hospital of St John, Bridgwater from 1219. (Pevsner,
Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958).

Listing NGR: ST2964639170

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.