History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Row of 4 James Headstones Approximately 3.5 Metres South of the Chancel of the Church of St Mary

A Grade II Listed Building in Hadlow, Kent

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.223 / 51°13'22"N

Longitude: 0.3396 / 0°20'22"E

OS Eastings: 563469

OS Northings: 149691

OS Grid: TQ634496

Mapcode National: GBR NQ7.8P6

Mapcode Global: VHHQ1.TJW9

Entry Name: Row of 4 James Headstones Approximately 3.5 Metres South of the Chancel of the Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 19 February 1990

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1264280

English Heritage Legacy ID: 179480

Location: Hadlow, Tonbridge and Malling, Kent, TN11

County: Kent

District: Tonbridge and Malling

Civil Parish: Hadlow

Built-Up Area: Hadlow

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Church of England Parish: Hadlow

Church of England Diocese: Rochester

Find accommodation in
Hadlow

Listing Text

HADLOW CHURCH STREET
TQ 63 49
7/44 Row of 4 James headstones
- approx 3.5m south of the
chancel of the Church of St
Mary

GV II

Row of 4 headstones. Dated between 1714 and 1724 in memory of members of the
James family. All are sandstone upright slabs with curvilinear shaped heads
and recessed front panels. They stand between 400mm and 800mm high and are
inscribed with Roman serif upper and lower case lettering.

The left headstone has scroll-shaped ears but the inscription is illegible in
all but perfect lighting conditions. Next to it is the best one and it is in
memory of Sarah James (d. 1724). It too has scroll-shaped ears. The head has
a crude carving of a skull and crossbones. Right of centre is a double-headed
stone but most of the inscription has weathered off and only the name
Elizabeth is legible. The right end stone has scroll-shaped ears carved with
crossbones and commemorates the death of Elizabeth James in 1714.


Listing NGR: TQ6346949691

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.