This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.23 / 51°13'48"N
Longitude: 0.3327 / 0°19'57"E
OS Eastings: 562965
OS Northings: 150454
OS Grid: TQ629504
Mapcode National: GBR NQ1.T2T
Mapcode Global: VHHQ1.QB7X
Entry Name: Hoath Cottage
Listing Date: 19 February 1990
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1264431
English Heritage Legacy ID: 179450
Location: Hadlow, Tonbridge and Malling, Kent, TN11
District: Tonbridge and Malling
Civil Parish: Hadlow
Built-Up Area: Hadlow
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Church of England Parish: Hadlow
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
HADLOW CARPENTERS LANE
TQ 65 SW
3/14 Hoath Cottage
House, once doctor's house with surgery, circa 1700, refurbished in early
C19, modernised and extended circa 1975. Ground floor level is Flemish bond
brick with decorative use of burnt headers, above is timber-framed and clad
with peg-tile; brick stack with C19 brick chimneyshaft; peg-tile roof, coach
house is Flemish bond brick with peg-tile roof.
Plan: 4-room plan house facing west. The right (south) end room was added in
the C20. The rest is a circa 1700 3-room lobby entrance plan house with
parlour to right, kitchen/hall to left and unheated service room at the left
(north) end. Axial stack serving back-to-back fireplaces between parlour and
kitchen/hall. Front lobby entrance and winder stair in front of the stack.
Present kitchen in secondary single-storey one-room plan block projecting at
right angles to rear of original kitchen/hall. Late C19 coach house and
stables projects forward from left end overlapping only a small part of the
front. It has been converted to domestic use and has a rear gable end stack.
Late C19 extension to rear in angle with main house.
House is 2 storeys with attics in the roofspace.
Exterior: Regular, not quite symmetrical, 5-window front of C20 casements
with glazing bars including, at ground floor level, 3 projecting bay windows
on curving timber brackets. The right end one is a circa 1970 copy but the
others are early C20 and these have patterns of leaded glass in the side
lights, Central doorway has original bead-moulded frame and plank door
complete with most of its original ironwork. Early C20 gabled porch includes
grilles of turned balusters. Roof is half-hipped both ends and includes a
The former coach house and stables contains only C20 casements and has a
glazed door in the right side. The upper window in the front gable end was
probably a hayloft loading hatch and has a curious brick hood.
Interior: the house of circa 1700 is well-preserved. Both ground floor
fireplaces are brick with oak lintels; the parlour fireplace is smaller and
has an unchamfered lintel and curving back; the soffit of the kitchen/hall
fireplace has been cut backa little. The kitchen chamber fireplace has a
plain timber chimneypiece which may be original. The left end service room
has a plain crossbeam but most rooms have chamfered axial beams. Parlour and
kitchen beams have step stops. Original winder stair. From first floor level
it divides to the attic rooms with splat balusters. Roof of tie-beam trusses
with staggered butt purlins. There is some original joinery around the house
including plank doors on strap hinges.
Older people in the area remember Hoath Cottage as a doctor's house and the
service room was then used as a surgery.
Listing NGR: TQ6279251063
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings