History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Long Course Officer's Quarters and Attached Railings, Horseshoe Barracks

A Grade II Listed Building in Southend-on-Sea, Southend-on-Sea

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5271 / 51°31'37"N

Longitude: 0.7945 / 0°47'40"E

OS Eastings: 593943

OS Northings: 184611

OS Grid: TQ939846

Mapcode National: GBR RR4.9NX

Mapcode Global: VHKHN.QWC6

Entry Name: Long Course Officer's Quarters and Attached Railings, Horseshoe Barracks

Listing Date: 28 April 1986

Last Amended: 17 February 1999

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1264599

English Heritage Legacy ID: 122954

Location: Southend-on-Sea, SS3

County: Southend-on-Sea

Electoral Ward/Division: Shoeburyness

Built-Up Area: Southend-on-Sea

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: South Shoebury St Andrew with St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Southend-on-Sea

Listing Text

TQ 98 SW SOUTHEND ON SEA CHAPEL ROAD
(north east side),
Shoebury Garrison

5/99 Long Course Officer's
28.4.96 Quarters and attached
railings, Horseshoe
Barracks

GV II

Single officer's quarters at British School of Gunnery. 1871. Yellow stock brick with brick ridge stacks and slate hipped roof. Double-depth plan. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and basement; 21-window range. Long symmetrical front articulated by giant pilaster strips, paired to entrance bays, to overhanging eaves, with plat bands to ground and first floors. Doorways to the centre and 4 bays from the ends, with an inserted entrance in the right-hand bay, with rubbed brick segmental-arched heads to doorways with 3-pane overlights and double 4-panel doors, and 6/6-pane sashes; short bridge steps span the basement area with coped walls; the later right-hand doorway has a concrete bridge with iron railings. Rear has 3 attached ablution towers. INTERIOR: stairs from the entrances have metal balusters and curtails, to altered rooms, originally front and back of a spine wall with fireplaces. HISTORY: the British School of Gunnery opened in 1859, and the Long Course started on 1860. The barracks provided accommodation for the RA involved in testing guns, ammunition and armour for the army and navy. (Glennie D: Gunners Town: History of Shoeburyness: Civic Publications: 1948-).


Listing NGR: TQ9394384611

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.