History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Devonshire Arms Hotel

A Grade II Listed Building in Long Sutton, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0256 / 51°1'32"N

Longitude: -2.7583 / 2°45'29"W

OS Eastings: 346915

OS Northings: 125413

OS Grid: ST469254

Mapcode National: GBR MH.HR0K

Mapcode Global: FRA 563D.P77

Entry Name: The Devonshire Arms Hotel

Listing Date: 17 April 1959

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1264749

English Heritage Legacy ID: 263218

Location: Long Sutton, South Somerset, Somerset, TA10

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

Civil Parish: Long Sutton

Built-Up Area: Long Sutton (South Somerset) B

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Long Sutton

Listing Text

LONG SUTTON CP THE GREEN (North side)
ST4625
The Devonshire Arms Hotel
12/152
17.4.59
GV
II
Inn. Probably C18 fabric, reshaped C19. Local lias stone, cut and squared, the facade having pecked finish, Ham stone
dressings; Welsh slate roof between stepped coped gables; stone chimney stacks. Two storeys with attics; 5 bays, of
which bays 1, 3 and 5 are slightly projecting and gabled with ornamental finials. Double chamfer mullioned and
transomed windows with casement infills, of 3 lights to outer bays and 2-light elsewhere, set under square labels;
simple lancet vents with square labels to gables; to bay 3 a projecting open stone porch with Doric columns, simple
entablature and pitched stone slab roof, in the pediment of which is a panel with the Devonshire Arms, all protecting a
panelled door. Small matching 1-bay extension attached to north west corner. Interior not seen. By 1756 the inch was
known as The Blue Ball, but from 1787 until the 1860's - possibly the time of refacing - it was known as The Buck's
Held (VCH, vol III, 1974).


Listing NGR: ST4691525413

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.