History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Manor House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Long Sutton, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0241 / 51°1'26"N

Longitude: -2.7582 / 2°45'29"W

OS Eastings: 346922

OS Northings: 125246

OS Grid: ST469252

Mapcode National: GBR MH.HR25

Mapcode Global: FRA 563D.WV0

Entry Name: The Manor House

Listing Date: 17 April 1959

Last Amended: 7 February 1986

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1264755

English Heritage Legacy ID: 263220

Location: Long Sutton, South Somerset, Somerset, TA10

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

Civil Parish: Long Sutton

Built-Up Area: Long Sutton (South Somerset) B

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Long Sutton

Listing Text

LONG SUTTON CP THE GREEN (south side)
ST4628
12/154 The Manor House
(formerly listed as Manor Farm
House)
17.4.59
GV II*

Detached House. Probably late C15, reshaped in C17, C18 and C19. Local lias stone cut and squared, Ham stone dressings;
plain clay tile roofs over stone slate base courses, between coped gables; brick chimney stacks. Complex plan: north
elevation of 2 storeys, 6 bays, of which bays 2 and 6 are gabled projecting wings and bay 4 a single-storey lean-to
porch. Mostly hollow chamfer mullioned windows of 2 or 3 lights, with square labels; but lower bays 5 and 6 have early
C18 segmental arched architraved openings, bay 5 with a 12-pane sash window and bay 6 with French doors; open porch has
semi-circular arch with keystone and moulded imposts, with an early boarded door with plain opening inside; gable wall
to bay 2 has only a boarded door, but two 3-light mullioned windows in west return wall, and stone stairs to first
floor level on the east return; bay 1 has an outshut and moulded doorway with flat arch. The east gable has further
mullioned windows, one blocked, with small square attic window. The south elevation of 5 bays, of which bays 1 to 3 are
early C19 remodelling, with 16-pane sash windows in plain openings under stone lintols, and an open porch to bay 2 of
non-classical detail; these bays marked by end pilasters: moulded cambered arched doorway between bays 3 and 4; bay 4
has 3-light chamfer mullioned windows with flat head lights below and 4-centre arched lights with incised spandrils
above, these last repeated in bay 5, all with labels. Formerly cross-passage plan, now modified, interior contains
moulded cambered arched fireplaces, and some C18 fielded panelling to the main inner room, as well as two staircases,
one in a turret, one spiral in a gable: roof replaced c1800. (VAG Report, SRO Unpublished 1976) Some early C16 stained
glass iron the Church inside the house: the house, formerly known as Sutton Valence Manor, recorded by 1538 (VCH, vol
III, 1974).


Listing NGR: ST4692225246

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.