History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

28, Mallord Street

A Grade II Listed Building in Stanley, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4859 / 51°29'9"N

Longitude: -0.1749 / 0°10'29"W

OS Eastings: 526820

OS Northings: 177902

OS Grid: TQ268779

Mapcode National: GBR 4P.XJ

Mapcode Global: VHGQY.XXD9

Entry Name: 28, Mallord Street

Listing Date: 9 September 1993

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1265177

English Heritage Legacy ID: 425738

Location: Kensington and Chelsea, London, SW3

County: London

District: Kensington and Chelsea

Local Authority Ward: Stanley

Built-Up Area: Kensington and Chelsea

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: Chelsea St John with St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Shepherds Bush

Listing Text

The following building shall be added:

TQ 2677 NE MALLORD STREET
(north side)
249-/61/10015 No. 28

II

House, built in 1913 for the painter Augustus John to designs
by the Dutch architect Robert van t'Hoff. Painted brick with a
pan tile roof. Single storey, with dormers, over a high half
basement. Parapets to gable-ended returns. Symmetrical
elevation with entrance reached up double flight of stairs and
flanked by windows. Glazing bars and overlight of an original
decorative pattern. Similar design to glazing bars of roof
dormers. Ridge stack on axis with entrance. The plan form
recalls lobby entrance houses. One room to either side of
"stack bay" designed originally as dining room and entrance
hall. Passage and stairs to rear, backed by the largest room
in the structure, John's studio, which extends almost to rear
boundary wall, 37' by 25' with an 18' ceiling; large window to
north; some alterations to largely glazed end wall. Gallery at
one end, with fireplace underneath; studio railing and
supports show the influence of Frank Lloyd Wright's work as
published in the famous Wasmuth volume of 1909. Some
firesurrounds and grates of original design; glazed interior
doors with door furniture also of original design.


Listing NGR: TQ2682077902

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.