History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Red Cow Public House

A Grade II Listed Building in Cambridge, Cambridgeshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2045 / 52°12'16"N

Longitude: 0.1199 / 0°7'11"E

OS Eastings: 544960

OS Northings: 258374

OS Grid: TL449583

Mapcode National: GBR L79.M5D

Mapcode Global: VHHK3.1V7C

Entry Name: The Red Cow Public House

Listing Date: 30 June 1993

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1265272

English Heritage Legacy ID: 47935

Location: Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, CB2

County: Cambridgeshire

District: Cambridge

Town: Cambridge

District Council Ward: Market

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Cambridge St Mary the Great with St Michael

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Cambridge

Listing Text

CAMBRIDGE CORN EXCHANGE STREET
TL 44 58 SE
6/10016 The Red Cow Public House
II
GV
Public House. 1898 by Richard Reynolds Rowe. Red brick and timber frame and plaster gable
and turret. Plain tile roof with gabled ends, hipped corner, bands of shaped tiles and crested
ridge-tiles. Brick gable end and axial stacks with corbelled brick caps and shafts. Plan: L-shaped
plan on corner site. Old English-Jacobethan style. Exterior: 2 storeys and attic. Asymmetrical
elevations and canted corner with ornate polygonal oriel turret with pargeted panels, carved
heraldic beasts and copper ogee dome with very tall finial and weathervane. N elevation 3:2
bays broad timber frame gable to left jettied out on canted bays and 2 canted arches between,
tripartite attic window and pargeting strapwork in gable and ornate pierced bargeboards, ball
finial and pendant. Between gable and turret 2 windows and large hipped dormer with deep
eaves. 3-bay W elevation with tripartite dormer, centre light segmentally arched. The ground
floor has plate glass windows with thin columns between and entablature above with moulded
cornice, the doorways with large console brackets and over-lights, the canted corner with pair
of doorways and semi-circular fanlights and cartouche in entablature above. On left of N
elevation the window is canted. Interior: Ground floor of saloons much altered.


Listing NGR: TL4496058374

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.