History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Parish Church of St Botolph

A Grade II* Listed Building in Graveley, Cambridgeshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 52.2607 / 52°15'38"N

Longitude: -0.1702 / 0°10'12"W

OS Eastings: 524978

OS Northings: 264080

OS Grid: TL249640

Mapcode National: GBR J3N.CR9

Mapcode Global: VHGM9.0FCS

Entry Name: Parish Church of St Botolph

Listing Date: 31 August 1962

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1265814

English Heritage Legacy ID: 423804

Location: Graveley, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, PE19

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: Graveley

Built-Up Area: Graveley

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Graveley St Botolph

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Offord Cluny

Listing Text

(South Side)

7/83 Parish Church
31.8.62 of St. Botolph


Parish church. Nave and north aisle C13, west tower C15, north
aisle demolished in C16 with three C13 windows reset in blocked
nave arcade, north door C16. Chancel rebuilt by Rev. Trotter
1733; chancel roof raised and Gothic east window inserted
c.1870. Chancel arch and south nave wall, windows and
buttresses restored, 1870-1880, and north and south doors
blocked, (south porch demolished). Walls of re-used limestone
and clunch dressings, C18 red brick. South elevation. Tower of
three stages with four stage angle buttresses, moulded plinth
and C19 embattled parapet. Belfry window of two-cinquefoil
lights in two-centred arch. South nave wall with two restored
two-light windows similar to original C13 windows with
quatrefoil and two-centred arch. Two-centred arched south
doorway with two continuous chamfered orders, blocked.
Interior. Just visible, the octagonal shafted piers of C13 four
bay nave arcade. Tower arch of two chamfered orders with
semi-circular shafts and moulded caps; C17 gallery. For
monuments see R.C.H.M, monument to Rev. H. Trotter, rector,
marble tablet with cornice and urn inscribed with details of his
benefactions by J. Dixon. Pulpit, hexagonal, C18. The library
of Rev. Trotter is now in Jesus College, Cambridge.
R.C.H.M. West Cambs, p.120, mon.l
Pevsner. Buildings of England, p.394

Listing NGR: TL2497864080

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.