This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7699 / 51°46'11"N
Longitude: -2.1969 / 2°11'48"W
OS Eastings: 386510
OS Northings: 207928
OS Grid: SO865079
Mapcode National: GBR 1M6.WZX
Mapcode Global: VH94R.VSY2
Entry Name: Well Farmhouse
Listing Date: 21 October 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1267087
English Heritage Legacy ID: 133551
Location: Painswick, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL6
Civil Parish: Painswick
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Painswick St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
PAINSWICK WICK STREET
SO 80 NE (east side)
5/354 Well Farmhouse
Farmhouse. Mid C17. Limestone ashlar, concrete tile roof, ashlar stacks. An
L-plan with entry to a screens passage in the internal corner of the L and the
principal rooms to its left facing into Painswick Valley. Front to road is
lofty two storeys and attics with twin Cotswold gables set well up from eaves,
to saddle-back coping, and to scrolled kneelers; main end gables also coped.
Each front gable has 3-light casement to ground and first floor and 2-light to
attics, all recessed chamfer stone mullion, under stopped hoods. Facade set to
plinth with moulded top. Right return has two small stair lights in plain gable
which carries two diagonal shafts on skirted square base; then, right, the set-
back wing in two storeys and attic, 2 windows. At ground floor a 3-light, at
first floor a 2 and 3-light, all as main front; two 2-light gabled dormers.
Ground floor, left, has C20 door set deep in reveals with moulded surround,
stopped at half-height, and with cornice on consoles. Surround has low relief
carved decoration. Left return from front is 1 + 1 window with extra C19
2-light over door to stopped hood far left; main gable right is fenestrated as
front gable, then, to its left, 2-light recessed chamfer casement with hood at
ground and first floor. There is a further l½ storey C19 wing to the left, with
a central gable. Interior: panel and muntin screen to passage, spiral stair,
some wide early floor boards. Fireplace with cornice ground floor, right in
back wing. Four bay roof, A-frame, and where wing joins front block, timber
framed partition in roof space. Front block, right, has large moulded and
stopped deep plain lintel to fireplace, slight camber. Stone spiral to first
floor, chamfered stopped beams. Remains of fireplace and bread oven.
(Country Life, Sept 4, 1920).
Listing NGR: SO8651007928
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings