History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Wesleyan Chapel

A Grade II Listed Building in Ilchester, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0012 / 51°0'4"N

Longitude: -2.6824 / 2°40'56"W

OS Eastings: 352213

OS Northings: 122649

OS Grid: ST522226

Mapcode National: GBR MM.K66Q

Mapcode Global: FRA 568G.NS8

Entry Name: Former Wesleyan Chapel

Listing Date: 28 April 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1267608

English Heritage Legacy ID: 263435

Location: Ilchester, South Somerset, Somerset, BA22

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

Civil Parish: Ilchester

Built-Up Area: Ilchester

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Ilchester

Listing Text

Former Wesleyan Chapel, Church Street.
10/53
8/53

------------------------------------

Former Wesleyan Chapel, Church Street.
10/53
8/53

------------------------------------
ST5222 ILCHESTER CP CHURCH STREET (West side)

10/53 Former Wesleyan Chapel

-

GV II

Former chapel, now antiques showroom. Erected 1850, enlarged 1861/63. Local lias stone cut and squared. Ham stone
dressings; Welsh slate roof with stepped coped street gable. Single storey, 3-bay gabled facade. Below, a chamfered
pointed-arch central doorway with part-glazed doors, under foliage-stop label; 16-pane display windows now added to
either side; above a triple lancet window with matching label, with plaque giving building dates of 1850 and 1863 and
also a circular vent in the gable crown. Side elevations each have 2 Y-traceried 2-light windows without labels;
extensions to rear include a 2-bay unit with 2 single-lancet windows and plain pointed arched door between. Interior
now has an intermediate floor, but the building not greatly altered. The chapel appears to have been closed in the
later 1970s. (VCH, Vol III, 1974).

Listing NGR: ST5221322649

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.