This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3823 / 51°22'56"N
Longitude: 0.5225 / 0°31'20"E
OS Eastings: 575632
OS Northings: 167820
OS Grid: TQ756678
Mapcode National: GBR PPW.6Y0
Mapcode Global: VHJLV.0JK6
Entry Name: Church of St John the Divine
Listing Date: 29 October 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1268218
English Heritage Legacy ID: 462120
Location: Medway, ME4
Electoral Ward/Division: River
Built-Up Area: Chatham
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Church of England Parish: Chatham St Mary and St John
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
TQ7567NE RAILWAY STREET
762-1/4/29 (North West side)
29/10/52 Church of St John the Divine
Church. 1820-21 by Sir Robert Smirke, 1863 apse by GM Hills.
Rock-faced limestone ashlar and dressings and a hipped slate
PLAN: rectangular with recessed corners and a W tower.
EXTERIOR: projecting square apse has clasping paired
pilasters, entablature and pediment, with a moulded
round-arched window containing a Venetian window with 5 oculi
following the arch.
Plain plinth, plat band, first-floor sill and impost bands
carried over the windows, cornice and parapet; cambered heads
to ground floor and round-arched heads to first-floor windows,
blind windows each side of the apse.
8-bay N side, the W bay set back. 3-bay W end with the middle
set forward with a doorway with plain architrave and cornice
to a 2-leaf 6-panel door with flush panels; plain doorways to
outer bays, and round-arched upper windows, with a plain
square 2-stage tower with a clock to the lower one, and
round-arched louvred windows to the ashlar upper stage, with a
8-bay N side has a central porch with pilasters to an
entablature, and double panelled doors.
INTERIOR: not inspected but noted as having galleried sides
and end on fluted Doric columns and a moulded front, 2-centre
chancel arch on corbels, flanked by painted flat buttresses,
and a panelled ceiling. E window 1868 by Alexander Gibbs.
HISTORY: built as a Commissioners church.
(The Buildings of England: Newman J: West Kent and the Weald:
London: 1976-: 201; NMR: photograph: London).
Listing NGR: TQ7563267820
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings