This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6267 / 52°37'35"N
Longitude: -1.1225 / 1°7'20"W
OS Eastings: 459494
OS Northings: 303571
OS Grid: SK594035
Mapcode National: GBR FKN.49
Mapcode Global: WHDJJ.Q7PP
Entry Name: Lansdowne House and Attached Leicester University Seminar Rooms
Listing Date: 3 September 1996
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1268272
English Heritage Legacy ID: 461993
Location: Leicester, LE1
County: City of Leicester
Electoral Ward/Division: Castle
Built-Up Area: Leicester
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Leicester Holy Trinity with St John the Divine
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
SK 5903 LEICESTER PRINCESS ROAD EAST
Lansdowne House and
attached Leicester University Seminar Rooms
Detached house and former stables. 1872. By Goddard and Son, billiards room added 1905 by Goddard and Company. Red brick in English bond with dressings of blue brick, stone and timber. The house is of two and three storeys over basement; standing on the corner of Princess Road East and University Road, the house presents a substantial front to each of those roads and the garden. Steps up to pointed-arched entrance in Princess Road East, the architrave of moulded brickwork and of stone; doorcase with toplight and panelled doors, both with decorative leaded and stained glass. The principal accents on this front are a three-storey shallow gabled wing to the right of the entrance, and an external stack to the left, the stack stepped out twice in plan, and the upper part treated as separate polygonal stacks; windows chiefly flat-arched and set back under a segmental arch, with stone sills. The front to University Road has two principal gabled elements, that to the right with a two-storey bay window under a hipped roof, with a subsidiary bracketed hipped roof at the spandrel, and a flat-arched window in the attic under a segmental arch; the left-hand element has a segmental-arched entrance to the ground floor and a five-light window with stone surround and one transom, and stained glass in the top lights, to the first floor, and a flat-arched window under a pointed arch to the attic; to the left of these elements is an external stack treated as in Princess Road. The corner is turned to the garden front with a five-sided two-storey bay window under a polygonal roof; balancing this at the north end of the garden front is a two-storey bay window with five lights and one mullion, and planted arcaded timberwork with brick nogging in the spandrels; gabled attic bracketed out over this, the gable having similar timberwork. Almost all the ground floor is screened by an ornate and well-preserved conservatory, with ornate cornicing, and decorative pediments over the entrance and a recessed south-west corner. Complex roof with fish-scale tiles, ridge and side-stacks; flat-arched dormer to garden front. INTERIOR: has fine detailing including stained glass, tilework, beamed ceiling in staircase hall and moulded doors with elaborate fittings Two-storey wing links the house with the stables, L-shaped in plan with a principal front in Princess Road East. Two storeys, the composition given balance by the slightly projecting gable over a carriage entrance at the north end, and the gable end of the cross-wing to the south. Four shallow segmental-arched windows to ground floor between the gabled ends, under a continuous dripmould; the gabled elements have flat-arched windows with one transom, five lights to the south, four to the north, framed by planted and arcaded timberwork with brick nogging; decorative bargeboards forming a rounded arch to each gable; full gabled dormer towards northern end; fish-scale tiles to roof, and ridge stacks.
Source: Brandwood G and Cherry M. Men of Property: The Goddards and Six Generations of Architecture (Leicester 1990), p.83.
Listing NGR: SK5949403571
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings