History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Folly in Garden of Number 239

A Grade II Listed Building in Hyde Godley, Tameside

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4518 / 53°27'6"N

Longitude: -2.0621 / 2°3'43"W

OS Eastings: 395974

OS Northings: 395011

OS Grid: SJ959950

Mapcode National: GBR GX1J.CB

Mapcode Global: WHB9R.9H9L

Entry Name: Folly in Garden of Number 239

Listing Date: 27 June 1996

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1268421

English Heritage Legacy ID: 461850

Location: Tameside, SK14

County: Tameside

Electoral Ward/Division: Hyde Godley

Built-Up Area: Hyde (Tameside)

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Godley-cum-Newton Green St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Hyde

Listing Text

SJ 99 SE, 1033-/4/10017

HYDE, MOTTRAM ROAD (north side)

Folly in garden of No. 239

GV

II

Eye-catcher, formerly part of a glasshouse; now derelict. Probably mid C19; altered. Red brick core faced on three sides with coursed sandstone rubble; pitched glazed roof (now severely damaged) concealed by parapet. Square single-cell plan, built on the corner of paved terrace raised on the bank of a stream, with a cylindrical north-west corner tower. Gothick style. One tall storey over a basement, symmetrical, with a recessed centre flanked by square corner turrets. The centre has a large 2-centred arched doorway with triple-stepped surround and a board door with strap hinges, a pair of imitation loop-lights above the doorway, corbelled "machicolation", and a high stepped parapet with a lead coat of arms attached to the front and a dressed stone at the apex with raised lettering "1767". The side turrets each have a tall narrow 2-light window with y-tracery and a hoodmould (that to the left now glazed with bottles and that to the right now boarded), a pair of loop-lights and a corbelled embattled parapet. The west side has a wide round-headed opening to the basement, with brick voussoirs, a corbelled sillband to the main floor where there is a large rectangular window with a hoodmould and damaged glazing, loop-lights on two levels, a corbelled embattled parapet carried round from the front, and at the north-west corner a cylindrical tower corbelled from basement level, with two cruciform tie-plates, and loop-lights and embattled parapet like the others. The east side wall is of white-washed brick where it was formerly covered by the gable end of a former glasshouse, and has a large square-headed doorway; and a tall narrow embattled turret rises through the centre of the embattled parapet. The rear wall is made of red brick. INTERIOR: white-washed brick walls; damaged pitched glazed roof. Listed for group value with No. 239, Mottram Road (q.v.)

Listing NGR: SJ9597495011

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.