This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.1073 / 53°6'26"N
Longitude: -2.0237 / 2°1'25"W
OS Eastings: 398512
OS Northings: 356678
OS Grid: SJ985566
Mapcode National: GBR 24P.C5H
Mapcode Global: WHBCH.W5J6
Entry Name: Nicholson Institute and Leek College of Further Education
Listing Date: 7 June 1972
Last Amended: 14 October 1996
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1268544
English Heritage Legacy ID: 461707
Location: Leek, Staffordshire Moorlands, Staffordshire, ST13
District: Staffordshire Moorlands
Civil Parish: Leek
Built-Up Area: Leek
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
Church of England Parish: Leek St Edward the Confessor
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SJ 9856 NE LEEK STOCKWELL STREET
611-1/5/133 Nicholson Institute and Leek
College of Further Education
Institute and library. 1882-4. By William Larner Sugden; extended 1899-1900 by W.L. Sugden by addition of the Silk and General Technical School'. Brick (rusticated to ground floor) with stone dressings. Main roof not visible, but copper dome to tower. Renaissance style. EXTERIOR: 2-storeyed with basement, 3-bay front, comprising Dutch gable to left, massive central mullioned and transomed window, and advanced entrance and stair-tower to right. Dutch gable has bow window with stone mullions to ground floor, flanked by square turret-towers built against the gable wall and 2-storeyed in height, surmounted by stone domed roofs. Gable rises above these, with pedimented head. Central 3-tier mullioned and transomed window with low-relief busts in entablature, and inscription plate above with enriched scroll-work and broken pediment below balustrading surmounted by urns. Advanced tower to right, the entrance raised up steps with cast and wrought-iron lamp standards and rail. Renaissance entrance, with round-arched doorway in pedimented case, with fluted composite shafts carrying angled entablature. Tablet at apex of pediment inscribed 'Nicholson Institute'. Pediment cuts into 4-tier mullioned and transomed window with broken pediment over. Stone pilasters in upper stage of tower and central lunette. Copper domed roof and lantern Return elevation has two 3-tier mullioned and transomed windows, and oriel window with Ipswich-style glazing at first floor. Rear wing beyond with 3 full-height round arched recessed with tiered mullioned and transomed windows. Fluted brick chimneys. Adjoining the Institute to rear right, the former Technical College (now Leek College of Further Education). Brick with plain-tiled roof. 2 storeys, 3-window range with central gable. Large mullioned and transomed windows, in round-arched recesses to first floor, segmentally-arched to lower storey. Low-relief plasterwork in tympana. Plain brick pilasters between the windows. Entrance (remodelled) in left-hand bay.
INTERIOR of Institute retains many of the original features, including the entrance hall, the main staircase, and the museum and picture gallery in the attic, and studios on the ground floor with north lights; much of the original joinery and plasterwork remains intact. The technical school extension retains main staircase, moulded plaster tympanum with clock over doorway, and moulded brass memorial.
SOURCES:  Buildings of England., p.170.  Girouard, M., Sweetness and Light, pp.88 and 89.
Listing NGR: SJ9851256678
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings