History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Wellington Mill

A Grade II Listed Building in Leek, Staffordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1048 / 53°6'17"N

Longitude: -2.0296 / 2°1'46"W

OS Eastings: 398116

OS Northings: 356397

OS Grid: SJ981563

Mapcode National: GBR 24P.9PR

Mapcode Global: WHBCH.S7Q4

Entry Name: Wellington Mill

Listing Date: 3 February 1993

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1268546

English Heritage Legacy ID: 461709

Location: Leek, Staffordshire Moorlands, Staffordshire, ST13

County: Staffordshire

District: Staffordshire Moorlands

Civil Parish: Leek

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Church of England Parish: Leek St Edward the Confessor

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Leek

Listing Text


LEEK

SJ9856SW STRANGMAN STREET
611-1/6/135 (South side)
03/02/93 Wellington Mill

GV II

Silk mill. Dated 1853. Extended later C19 and early C20. Built
for Thomas Whittles. Brick with slate roof. Main manufacturing
block with ancillary buildings including engine house, boiler
house etc. to rear.
EXTERIOR: 4 storeys, 14-window range, with slightly advanced
central pediment occupying 4 bays. Doorway in round-arched
painted stone architrave towards the right of this elevation.
Iron-framed windows with stone cills and flat-arched brick
heads. Stone copings to gables and pediment, which is dated
with the name of the mill in a painted stone panel at the
apex. Projecting privy tower on rear elevation.
E of the main range, a later extension (c1860?), also brick
with slate roof. 3-storeyed, 3-window range. This adjoins a
further range originally c1860 but extensively reconstructed
c1950, retaining the roof structure, gable walls with rear
stair-turret, but rebuilding the side walls and internal
structure: Original gable wall facing street, 4 storeys,
4-window range with doorway to left. Gabled engine and boiler
houses etc. to rear of main mill range, and tapering octagonal
chimney. A series of early C20 dyeing rooms to the rear.
INTERIOR: internal structure of main mill block has transverse
timber beams with no intermediate supports.


Listing NGR: SJ9811656397

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.