This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.1047 / 53°6'16"N
Longitude: -2.0264 / 2°1'34"W
OS Eastings: 398331
OS Northings: 356385
OS Grid: SJ983563
Mapcode National: GBR 24P.BJ9
Mapcode Global: WHBCH.V777
Entry Name: 62, St Edward Street
Listing Date: 13 April 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1268567
English Heritage Legacy ID: 461691
Location: Leek, Staffordshire Moorlands, Staffordshire, ST13
District: Staffordshire Moorlands
Civil Parish: Leek
Built-Up Area: Leek
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
Church of England Parish: Leek St Edward the Confessor
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SJ9856SW ST EDWARD STREET
611-1/6/117 (West side)
Formerly known as: No.62 Premises occupied by Prudential
Assurance Co Ltd ST EDWARD STREET.
House. Now in use as offices. Comprises 2 distinct buildings.
Main building dated 1724. The other with an apparently later
facade, but a possible earlier core. Coursed and squared
stone, brick, and plain-tiled roofs.
EXTERIOR: central entrance in moulded case, with entablature
over. Date in deeply moulded arched stone with gilded monogram
above. 3-light mullioned and transomed window to right with
4-centred arched glazing. Similar glazing in canted bay to
left of doorway, and also in upper windows which have retained
small panes. Plain stone bands over windows of each storey;
moulded eaves cornice. Two 3-light mullioned dormer windows in
roof, with coped gables and moulded kneelers. Stack on
The left-hand part of the building is a later refronting of an
earlier structure: brick, but render in gable walls, and
steepness of roof pitch suggest possible timber-framed core. A
segmental archway over doorway to left is cut by No.64 (qv),
itself dated 1747. Paired 8-pane sashes (no glazing bars in
lower lights) on each floor, with flat-arched brick heads with
painted stone keys. Narrow 8-pane sash window over entry to
left. Similar windows in upper floors, but divided as 12-pane
sashes. Parapet to eaves.
Lead rainwater goods at the junction of the 2 buildings:
feather-like leadwork to rainwater head, and fleur-de-lys
motifs on wall-mounting straps. End wall stacks.
INTERIOR: of stone building retains original staircase against
rear wall, lit by full-height mullioned and transomed window.
Turned balusters and moulded tread ends.
Listing NGR: SJ9833156385
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings