History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Spout Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Leek, Staffordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1044 / 53°6'16"N

Longitude: -2.0262 / 2°1'34"W

OS Eastings: 398344

OS Northings: 356361

OS Grid: SJ983563

Mapcode National: GBR 24P.BKG

Mapcode Global: WHBCH.V7BD

Entry Name: Spout Hall

Listing Date: 7 June 1972

Last Amended: 14 October 1996

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1268569

English Heritage Legacy ID: 461693

Location: Leek, Staffordshire Moorlands, Staffordshire, ST13

County: Staffordshire

District: Staffordshire Moorlands

Civil Parish: Leek

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Church of England Parish: Leek St Edward the Confessor

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Leek

Listing Text


LEEK

SJ9856SW ST EDWARD STREET
611-1/6/119 (West side)
07/06/72 Nos.66 AND 68
Spout Hall
(Formerly Listed as:
ST EDWARD STREET
(West side)
Nos.66 & 68)

GV II

House, possibly originally 2 dwellings, now subdivided as
flats. Dated 1873, and attributed to Richard Norman Shaw.
Coursed and squared stone to lower storey, timber-framed
above, with plain-tiled roof.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys and attic, 4-window range forming
continuous band of fenestration on upper floors. Wide
pointed-arch carried on corbels to left, with heavy hoodmould
and date inscribed in stonework above. Internally, the arch is
sub-divided, the left-hand part forming rear entry, the right
comprising a doorway giving access to upper storeys.
Main doorway to right, a 4-centred archway with mullioned
overlight in moulded architrave. 3- and 4-light wood mullioned
and transomed windows with leaded upper lights containing some
stained glass between the entries. Moulded bressumer above,
and strongly jettied outer bays, tiered out over first floor
and continuing as gabled dormers.
The jetty is coved across the central section of the building,
between the projecting gables. Windows are of 4-lights,
divided into 2 distinct tiers by heavy transom. Some leaded
glazing survives in left-hand window and in narrow side lights
of squared oriels. Second-floor windows are of similar style
(but no leadwork survives), and attic storey windows are
simpler 3-light casements. Heavy axial stack with star-shaped
shafts.
INTERIOR: not inspected.


Listing NGR: SJ9834456361

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.