This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.1096 / 53°6'34"N
Longitude: -2.0354 / 2°2'7"W
OS Eastings: 397727
OS Northings: 356939
OS Grid: SJ977569
Mapcode National: GBR 24P.26V
Mapcode Global: WHBCH.P3YD
Entry Name: Brindleys Corn Mill
Listing Date: 7 June 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1268579
English Heritage Legacy ID: 461664
Location: Leek, Staffordshire Moorlands, Staffordshire, ST13
District: Staffordshire Moorlands
Civil Parish: Leek
Built-Up Area: Leek
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
Church of England Parish: Leek St Edward the Confessor
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SJ95NE MILL STREET
611-1/1/90 (North side)
07/06/72 Brindley's corn mill
Remains of corn mill. 1752. Designed and built by James
Brindley. Coursed and squared stone and brick with plain-tiled
roof. The remaining portion of the building comprises only two
thirds of the building, which was partially demolished for
road-widening in 1948.
EXTERIOR: 2-storeyed, the side wall of brick with stone quoins
to original angle to right (left-hand gable rebuilt externally
on line of internal partition wall on demolition of rest of
Wide shallow segmental-archway to left (formerly central to
main elevation) with hoodmould and keystone. Lunette over
archway. 2 round-arched windows (possibly recut) on each floor
to right. Gable return is roughly coursed and squared
stonework, with wheel (formerly housed in lean-to timber
structure) aligned parallel to the gable. Central round-arched
window to upper storey flanked by square windows in stressed
INTERIOR: internal structure with heavy tie-beams on each
floor to support stones and machinery, and curved tie-beam of
king-post truss to roof.
The mill remained in use until 1940 and retains much of its
machinery (restored in the late C20). Breast-shot wooden water
wheel working 3 sets of stones via internal pit wheel (renewed
together with the axle shaft in the C19), original timber main
shaft and wallower (renewed in the C19). Tentering gear for
the 3 pairs of stones represents 3 generations of
construction: timber, timber and cast-iron, and cast-iron.
3-window range demolished in 1948 probably comprised original
drying floors etc.
Sheduled Ancient Monument
Listing NGR: SJ9772756939
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings