This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.1002 / 53°6'0"N
Longitude: -2.0077 / 2°0'27"W
OS Eastings: 399582
OS Northings: 355886
OS Grid: SJ995558
Mapcode National: GBR 24Q.P6X
Mapcode Global: WHBCJ.4B7P
Entry Name: Boundary Stone at Ngr Sj 995 558
Listing Date: 14 October 1996
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1268583
English Heritage Legacy ID: 461668
Location: Leek, Staffordshire Moorlands, Staffordshire, ST13
District: Staffordshire Moorlands
Civil Parish: Leek
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
Church of England Parish: Leek St Edward the Confessor
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SJ95NE MOUNT ROAD
611-1/1/94 (East side)
Boundary stone at NGR SJ 995 558
Boundary stone. Dated 1855. Stone. The stone is inscribed 'LIA
1855 L.B.' and marks the outer limit of the administrative
area governed by the Leek Improvement Act of 1855.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the Act set up a commission with powers to
enact improvements in the town, and to establish markets, a
cemetery, to manage the water works and markets. It marked the
beginning of municipal government in Leek. For the purposes of
the Act, the boundaries of the town were established as a
circle with its centre in the centre of the Market Place.
Wherever this circular line crossed rights of way and
watercourses, the boundary was marked by a stone post, several
of which survive.
Listing NGR: SJ9958255886
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings