This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.1056 / 53°6'20"N
Longitude: -2.0236 / 2°1'24"W
OS Eastings: 398517
OS Northings: 356488
OS Grid: SJ985564
Mapcode National: GBR 24P.C63
Mapcode Global: WHBCH.W6KJ
Entry Name: National Westminster Bank
Listing Date: 7 June 1972
Last Amended: 14 October 1996
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1268590
English Heritage Legacy ID: 461635
Location: Leek, Staffordshire Moorlands, Staffordshire, ST13
District: Staffordshire Moorlands
Civil Parish: Leek
Built-Up Area: Leek
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
Church of England Parish: Leek St Edward the Confessor
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SJ9856SE DERBY STREET
611-1/7/58 (South side)
07/06/72 National Westminster Bank
(Formerly Listed as:
Bank. Dated 1882. By William Larner Sugden. Brick with stone
dressings, pargeting and plain-tiled roof.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, 4-window range. Ornate advanced gable
over principal banking hall to right, with entrance in
single-storeyed porch alongside. Rusticated piers to broken
pedimented entrance, with lunette over the pediment, and
cartouche inscribed 'Manchester and Liverpool District Banking
Co. Ltd'. Enriched pilasters support segmental pediment above.
Main gable has shallow segmental bow window to ground floor,
the jettied upper storey having paired segmental oriels
connected by balustraded balconette.
Shaw-style windows with leaded glazing. Pargeting below and
between the windows. Moulded bressumer to projecting gable
apex, also enriched with pargeting incorporating painted
shield of arms. 2-window range beyond, with lesser left-hand
gable, articulated by moulded pilasters at jettied first
storey. Mullioned windows of 3 and 4 lights to ground floor,
mullioned and transomed windows with leaded upper panes above.
Pargeting in apex of gable in right-hand return incorporating
the date. Left-hand return has parallel wing forming 2 gables,
each with pargeting in the apex. A third advanced gabled range
Side entrance, possibly originally giving access to manager's
accommodation. Massive end wall stacks, and a third in the
angle of the advanced wing. Shallow segmental arch with tiled
roof over giving access to rear, to left.
INTERIOR: has marble and scagliola wall panelling to main
banking hall, and much of the original enriched woodwork also
survives. Frieze of William de Morgan tiles in porch.
Listing NGR: SJ9851756487
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings