History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Luke

A Grade II* Listed Building in Leek, Staffordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1062 / 53°6'22"N

Longitude: -2.0191 / 2°1'8"W

OS Eastings: 398819

OS Northings: 356558

OS Grid: SJ988565

Mapcode National: GBR 24Q.6CC

Mapcode Global: WHBCH.Y6P1

Entry Name: Church of St Luke

Listing Date: 7 June 1972

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1268593

English Heritage Legacy ID: 461638

Location: Leek, Staffordshire Moorlands, Staffordshire, ST13

County: Staffordshire

District: Staffordshire Moorlands

Civil Parish: Leek

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Church of England Parish: Leek St Edward the Confessor

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Leek

Listing Text


LEEK

SJ9856NE FOUNTAIN STREET
611-1/5/64 (North side)
07/06/72 Church of St Luke

GV II*

Parish church. 1848, tower added 1854 and chancel extended
1873. By Frederick and Horace Francis.
MATERIALS: Coursed and squared stone with Welsh slate roofs
with ridge-cresting.
PLAN: W tower, nave with 2 aisles, chancel with vestries.
EXTERIOR: massive 3-stage W tower, with heavy stair-turret
projecting at SW corner, and massive angle buttresses. W door
up steps, engaged shafts to moulded archway. 3-light window
over doorway, and triple bell chamber lights in upper stage.
Traceried high parapet, with central panels carrying statues
of saints on eagle corbels.
Aisles of 5 bays divided by buttresses; 3 and 2-light
Decorated windows with reticulated tracery, and gabled porch
with engaged shafts to moulded arch to S. Storeyed gabled
vestry E of N aisle. 5-light Decorated E window to chancel,
which is heavily buttressed, the buttresses with crocketed
gablets carried on corbel heads. 2 high level 2-light windows
in S of chancel, with continuous cill band. Small doorway
(blocked internally) to S.
INTERIOR: 5-bay arcade with octagonal piers carrying triple
chamfered arches with corbel heads. Steep arch-braced roof
with wall-posts sprung from corbels to principal trusses.
Steep arch to tower, filled with glazed traceried screen added
in 1949. Clustered shaft with foliate capitals to chancel
arch. Steep, closely spaced arch-braced trusses to chancel
roof, boarded over sanctuary.
Rich decorative scheme to chancel: openwork timber screen,
with triangular central arch flanked by segmental arches with
foiled tracery, angels on newel posts, and rich vine-scroll
decoration to canopy. Richly worked wall-panelling, linen fold
with low-relief tracery to sanctuary. Integral sedilia to S
reredos by JD Sedding, 1874: outer traceried panels with
low-relief sculptures in upper panels. High reliefs to either
side of central traceried panel representing the Nativity and
Resurrection, flanked by saints in niches; painted stone.
Panelling enriched with low-relief lilies etc. to case of
Jardine organ (organ 1861, case 1903). Encaustic tiles to
sanctuary. Choir stalls probably also c1874, with angels
carved on bench ends.
STAINED GLASS: the work of several different artists in


different stylistic idioms; S aisle and lady chapel: medieval
style with small narrative emblems in richly coloured ground,
1860 and 1862, by Warrington; pictorial style, 1890;
Pre-Raphaelite style, 1884, Powell. Chancel S window pictorial
memorial window, said to have been worked from a photograph. E
window by Wailes; medieval style, with pictorial emblems. N
aisle, pictorial windows, one dated 1891, unsigned.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the church was richly endowed by a number of
prominent local families, and several of its notable fittings
were provided as memorials to some of their members.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Staffordshire:
Harmondsworth: 170).

Listing NGR: SJ9881956558

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.