History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

12, Haywood Street

A Grade II Listed Building in Leek, Staffordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 53.1044 / 53°6'15"N

Longitude: -2.0233 / 2°1'23"W

OS Eastings: 398535

OS Northings: 356357

OS Grid: SJ985563

Mapcode National: GBR 24P.C8Q

Mapcode Global: WHBCH.W7PF

Entry Name: 12, Haywood Street

Listing Date: 14 October 1996

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1268597

English Heritage Legacy ID: 461642

Location: Leek, Staffordshire Moorlands, Staffordshire, ST13

County: Staffordshire

District: Staffordshire Moorlands

Civil Parish: Leek

Built-Up Area: Leek

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Church of England Parish: Leek St Edward the Confessor

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in

Listing Text


611-1/7/68 (South side)


Silk mill. Built c1876 (an adjacent engineering building is
dated 1876 (not included)) By William Sugden. Possibly for HD
Bayliss. Brick with Welsh slate roof. Classical style with
Lombardic detailing.
EXTERIOR: gabled front to Haywood Street, a 4-storeyed,
3-window range. Central doorway flanked by flat-arched windows
to ground floor, cambered heads to first-floor windows,
round-arched arcaded windows above, and flat-arched
upper-floor window each side of central tall round-arched
window, with pilasters corbelled out each side carrying
squared bell-cote(?) at the gable apex. Possible privy tower
to right with hipped roof.
Return to Shoobridge Street a 10-window range, the 3 windows
to the left closely spaced and with a doorway on the ground
floor (possibly marking location of staircase). Cambered heads
to ground-floor windows, round-arched windows above, all with
stone cills. Heavily projecting arcaded corbel table divides
upper storey, which has flat lintels to windows. Windows all
retain cast-iron glazing, with small central opening lights.
Stack detached towards rear, square section with heavily
moulded cap.
Small building with hipped roof to rear, probably original
engine house, which may also have served adjacent former
engineering works.
INTERIOR: not inspected.

Listing NGR: SJ9853556357

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.