This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.1044 / 53°6'15"N
Longitude: -2.0224 / 2°1'20"W
OS Eastings: 398599
OS Northings: 356355
OS Grid: SJ985563
Mapcode National: GBR 24P.CJD
Mapcode Global: WHBCH.X74F
Entry Name: Police Station and Superintendents House Including Stables and Boundary Wall
Listing Date: 11 November 1971
Last Amended: 14 October 1996
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1268599
English Heritage Legacy ID: 461644
Location: Leek, Staffordshire Moorlands, Staffordshire, ST13
District: Staffordshire Moorlands
Civil Parish: Leek
Built-Up Area: Leek
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
Church of England Parish: Leek St Edward the Confessor
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SJ9856SE LEONARD STREET
611-1/7/70 (West side)
11/11/71 Police Station and Superintendent's
House including stables and boundary
(Formerly Listed as:
County Police Station)
Police station, superintendent's house, stables and boundary
walls. Disused at time of inspection. Dated 1891. By William
Sugden and William Larner Sugden. Brick with stone dressings
and plain-tiled roof.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, main block and flanking recessed wings.
Main block a 6-window range with central entrance in
full-height concave arched recess. Paired doors in stone
architrave with date and title in entablature. Pilasters each
side ornamented with Staffordshire knots, and with feathers as
capitals. County arms above. Round-arched window with circular
leaded glazing fills the upper part of the arched recess.
Flanking windows have stone architraves, and flat lintels to
ground floor (15-pane sashes); round-arched windows above
(12-pane sashes). Turrets corbelled out above the ground floor
at each side. End wall and central stacks. Moulded stone
cornice and string course over ground-floor windows. Stressed
stone quoins to ground floor.
Left-hand wing recessed: Two 15-pane sash windows to ground
floor, 2 round arched windows above. Steps to basement storey
behind heavy cast-iron area railings. Right-hand wing formerly
the sergeant's house: doorway to right with canopy porch and
overlight above the porch. Canted bay window with Ipswich
glazing, and similar window above.
The police station is linked to the superintendent's house to
the S by walls and entrance gates to yard: curved wall flanks
the entrance gates, with round-arched main gate and side
entries separated by brick pilasters surmounted by heavy ball
finials. Heavy tooled stone banding, stone copings, all
Superintendent's House: 2-storeyed, 3-window range with
advanced central bay housing entrance. Shouldered wood
architrave with bolection moulded cornice continuing across
side lights. 20-pane sash window above, with moulded cill band
and cornice. Tympanum over window with low-relief stone carved
county arms. Central block terminates as low tower with swept
parapet and pyramidal roof. Flanking shallow segmental bow
windows to ground floor, with tripartite sashes. 16-pane sash
windows in shallow projecting panels to first floor with steep
gables with moulded wood cornice forming pediments above.
Axial and rear stacks, enriched with moulding and tilehanging.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: the buildings are enclosed in a walled
courtyard to the rear, with stabling and other ancillary
Listing NGR: SJ9859956354
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings