This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.1057 / 53°6'20"N
Longitude: -2.0248 / 2°1'29"W
OS Eastings: 398438
OS Northings: 356496
OS Grid: SJ984564
Mapcode National: GBR 24P.BX0
Mapcode Global: WHBCH.W60G
Entry Name: 10, Derby Street
Listing Date: 13 April 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1268624
English Heritage Legacy ID: 461629
Location: Leek, Staffordshire Moorlands, Staffordshire, ST13
District: Staffordshire Moorlands
Civil Parish: Leek
Built-Up Area: Leek
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
Church of England Parish: Leek St Edward the Confessor
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SJ9856SW DERBY STREET
611-1/6/54 (South side)
House, now solicitors' offices, and reputedly built originally
to house offices together with domestic accommodation, later
extended to include courthouse. Dated 1760. Brick with stone
dressings and plain-tiled roof.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys, 5-window range with advanced central
pedimented bay. Doorway with pediment carried on brackets.
Date engraved and painted in entablature. Round-arched
stressed architrave to upper window with margin lights. 6-pane
sash window in attic storey, and tiny bull's-eye window in
apex of pediment. Flanking windows are all 12-pane sashes with
painted stone cills and flat-arched gauged brick heads with
painted stone keys. Moulded stone eaves cornice; end wall and
axial stacks. Cast-iron spearhead railings with urn finials on
principal posts define small yard to front.
Short rear wing to right housing staircase, extended mid C19.
Original full-height stair window with central mullion and
divided by transoms (wood, but stone mullion and transom in
lowest light) into 7 vertical divisions. Small leaded panes.
Mid C19 extension beyond houses former courtroom: 2-storeyed,
4-window range, with 16-pane sash windows each side of 2
doorways (left hand doorway giving access to courtroom), and
tripartite sash window to ground floor left. Similar 16-pane
sash windows to first floor, and one inserted window to right
Single storey extension to right, with round-arched doorway
and 16-pane sash window. Openings all with flat stone lintels
and cills, but doorway to right of centre in late C20 replica
reeded case with lozenge overlight.
INTERIOR: layout of original plan survives, with staircase
with turned balusters and moulded rail. Some cast-iron
fireplaces may also be late C18; fitted furniture associated
with office use, late C19 or early C20. Courtroom in rear wing
retains bench and dock, and tongue-and-groove wall panelling.
It was last used as the magistrates' court in the 1950s.
Listing NGR: SJ9843856496
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings