History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Dieu-La-Cres Abbey Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Leek, Staffordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1177 / 53°7'3"N

Longitude: -2.0279 / 2°1'40"W

OS Eastings: 398231

OS Northings: 357832

OS Grid: SJ982578

Mapcode National: GBR 24H.J45

Mapcode Global: WHBC9.TWJS

Entry Name: Dieu-La-Cres Abbey Farmhouse

Listing Date: 13 April 1951

Last Amended: 14 October 1996

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1268654

English Heritage Legacy ID: 461578

Location: Leek, Staffordshire Moorlands, Staffordshire, ST13

County: Staffordshire

District: Staffordshire Moorlands

Civil Parish: Leek

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Church of England Parish: Leek St Edward the Confessor

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Leek

Listing Text


LEEK

SJ95NE ABBEY GREEN ROAD
611-1/1/5 (East side)
13/04/51 Dieu-la-Cres Abbey Farmhouse
(Formerly Listed as:
ABBEY GREEN
Dieu-la-Cres Abbey Farm)

GV II

Farmhouse, now subdivided as 2 dwellings, and possibly
incorporating gateway to former Abbey of Dieu l'Acres. Dated
1612. Some later extensions and remodelling in the later C19
(some time after 1862). Coursed and squared rubble to lower
storey, timber-framed above, with slate roofs.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, main range with 2 gabled cross-wings, one
forming storeyed porch towards centre of building. Right-hand
part of main range possibly extended towards right (chamfered
plinth in left-hand section only), but incorporating
full-height archway in rear wall of left-hand bay, apparently
originally a gateway with coved timbering over. Front of this
range has 3 2-light iron casement windows projecting on
moulded Mannerist brackets, with similar windows below all
presumably dating from C19 remodelling. Mock-timbering added
at the same time to painted brick of upper storey.
2 jettied wings separating central hall range of main part of
house: canted bay window in left-hand wing, with 3-light
leaded window above, and gable apex jettied out. Square
panelled framing visible in return gable of main range, but
timbering on jettied wing largely C19.
Central hall range has full-height stair window to left, with
leaded glazing and some stained glass. 6-light mullioned
window to first floor projecting on moulded brackets, 3-light
mullioned window below. Timbering applied to brick in C19.
Right-hand wing is gabled storeyed porch. Dated 1612 with
initials R over TA in timber cornice over 4-centred arched
entrance. Moulded bressumer and close studding with some
decorative panelling, apparently all largely the original
timberwork. Axial stack behind porch, with decorative niches
cut into the brick. Former similar stack towards right
removed.
Rear elevation has wide gable to cross-wing, with shallow
jettying to first floor, extended, possibly during C19. Narrow
storeyed porch on axis of front entrance porch, the doorway
now a pointed-arched window. Shallow stair tower projects
beyond the porch; enriched 4-centred arch of the former cart
entry with decorative timber panelling to coving at lower end


of building.
Adjoining the house at right angles to the front, is an arched
entrance gate dated 1627: shallow 4-centred archway of that
date, ornamented (probably when the adjacent farm buildings
were constructed c1820) with over-arch and pediment assembled
from sculpted stone of abbey ruins: the pediment over the arch
is made from sections of clustered shaft piers, and the
archway is flanked by carved figures and further ornamented
with rosettes, corbel heads and fragments of tracery, vaulting
ribs, etc.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
(Sleigh, John: A History of the Ancient Parish of Leek: Leek:
1862-).



Listing NGR: SJ9823157832

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.