This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.1179 / 53°7'4"N
Longitude: -2.0269 / 2°1'36"W
OS Eastings: 398295
OS Northings: 357856
OS Grid: SJ982578
Mapcode National: GBR 24H.JCS
Mapcode Global: WHBC9.TWZN
Entry Name: Byre and Barns at Dieu-La-Cres Abbey Farm farm Buildings at Dieu-La-Cres Abbey Farm
Listing Date: 13 April 1951
Last Amended: 14 October 1996
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1268655
English Heritage Legacy ID: 461579
Location: Leek, Staffordshire Moorlands, Staffordshire, ST13
District: Staffordshire Moorlands
Civil Parish: Leek
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
Church of England Parish: Leek St Edward the Confessor
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SJ95NE ABBEY GREEN ROAD
611-1/1/7 (East side)
13/04/51 Byre and Barns at Dieu-la-Cres Abbey
(Formerly Listed as:
Farm buildings of Dieu-la-Cres Abbey
Byres and barn. c1820. Incorporating stone from the C13 Abbey
of Dieu l'Acres. Coursed and squared stone with slate roofs.
EXTERIOR: 2-storeyed byre with 2-storeyed barn at right
angles, and single-storeyed byre range, enclosing 3 sides of a
courtyard. Byre has a series of pointed-arched doors and
windows in both elevations, some clearly assembled from abbey
ruins, others possibly cut in C19. Carved stones from abbey
used to ornament the building in a highly deliberate
decorative scheme, the ornamentation largely concentrated over
the openings, and using roof bosses, fragments of tracery,
vaulting ribs etc. Single-storeyed byre wing has similar doors
and windows in inner face, and its gable wall is ornamented
with abbey sculpture, in which a stone coffin lid forms the
centrepiece. 2-storeyed barn wing with blocked full-height
archway, windows and ventilation slits, again ornamented with
moulded capitals and roof bosses taken from abbey.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
HISTORICAL NOTE: writing in 1862, a local historian, John
Sleigh noted that at the beginning of the C19, the ruins of
the abbey 'were partially dug up and the materials used in the
erection of the stables and outbuildings of the large black
and white farmhouse adjacent.'
The buildings form a group with the E and W stable ranges of
the farm, together with the farmhouse. They represent an
important and unusual example of the re-use of early building
material in a highly deliberate aesthetic, as a kind of
(Sleigh, John: A History of the Ancient Parish of Leek: Leek:
Listing NGR: SJ9829557855
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings