This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.0999 / 53°5'59"N
Longitude: -2.008 / 2°0'28"W
OS Eastings: 399562
OS Northings: 355850
OS Grid: SJ995558
Mapcode National: GBR 24Q.P4V
Mapcode Global: WHBCJ.4B2X
Entry Name: Boundary Stone at Ngr Sj 996 558
Listing Date: 14 October 1996
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1268662
English Heritage Legacy ID: 461586
Location: Leek, Staffordshire Moorlands, Staffordshire, ST13
District: Staffordshire Moorlands
Civil Parish: Leek
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
Church of England Parish: Leek St Edward the Confessor
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SJ95NE ASHBOURNE ROAD
611-1/1/12 (West side)
Boundary stone at NGR SJ 996 558
Boundary stone. Dated 1855. Stone. The stone is inscribed 'LIA
1855 L.B.' and marks the outer limit of the administrative
area established by the Leek Improvement Act of 1855.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the act set up a commission with powers to
enact improvements in the town, and to establish markets, a
cemetery, to manage the water works and markets etc. It marks
the beginning of municipal government in Leek. For the
purposes of the act, the boundaries of the town were
established as a circle with its centre in the centre of the
Market Place. Wherever this circular line crossed rights of
way and watercourses, the boundary was marked by a stone post,
several of which still survive.
Listing NGR: SJ9956255850
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings