This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.1026 / 53°6'9"N
Longitude: -2.01 / 2°0'35"W
OS Eastings: 399429
OS Northings: 356155
OS Grid: SJ994561
Mapcode National: GBR 24Q.GN9
Mapcode Global: WHBCJ.384T
Entry Name: Moorlands Hospital
Listing Date: 7 June 1972
Last Amended: 14 October 1996
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1268665
English Heritage Legacy ID: 461589
Location: Leek, Staffordshire Moorlands, Staffordshire, ST13
District: Staffordshire Moorlands
Civil Parish: Leek
Built-Up Area: Leek
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
Church of England Parish: Leek St Edward the Confessor
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SJ95NE ASHBOURNE ROAD
611-1/1/15 (East side)
07/06/72 Moorlands Hospital
(Formerly Listed as:
Moorlands Hospital (Former
Workhouse, now hospital. 1838. By Bateman and Drury. Red brick
with slate roof.
EXTERIOR: main block facing street a 3-storeyed, 10- window
range (2-1-3-1-2). Rear ranges arranged on panopticon
principal, with 3-storeyed axial wing to rear of frontage
linked to octagonal storeyed block from which 3 further
cruciform wings formerly ran. Pediment over 3 central bays
with date in apex. Central entrance in porch with coupled
Doric columns. Windows (renewed in original openings to first
floor) with flat-arched stone heads with moulded keystones.
Moulded stone cornice and blocking course. Single storey
3-window pavilions with central pediment each side of main
range. Central rear wing 3-storeyed, 6-window range
(originally sash windows of 9 and 12 lights, some now
renewed), linking to octagonal tower. One radial wing parallel
to frontage block survives (the other demolished c1990):
2-storeyed, 8-window range, 12-pane sashes with stone cills
and flat-arched brick heads. Lower rear wing beyond tower now
(and perhaps originally) the kitchens.
INTERIOR: layout still retains some of the original plan, and
the stone staircases with cast-iron rails survive in frontage
block and rear wings.
Listing NGR: SJ9942956155
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings