This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.1132 / 53°6'47"N
Longitude: -2.0194 / 2°1'9"W
OS Eastings: 398795
OS Northings: 357336
OS Grid: SJ987573
Mapcode National: GBR 24J.S99
Mapcode Global: WHBCH.Y0JN
Entry Name: Fowlchurch Farmhouse
Listing Date: 14 October 1996
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1268667
English Heritage Legacy ID: 461591
Location: Leek, Staffordshire Moorlands, Staffordshire, ST13
District: Staffordshire Moorlands
Civil Parish: Leek
Built-Up Area: Leek
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
Church of England Parish: Leek St Edward the Confessor
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SJ95NE BALL HAYE GREEN
611-1/1/17 (North side (off))
Farmhouse, now house. C17 in origin, remodelled early C19.
Coursed and squared sandstone, with scallop-tiled roof. 3-unit
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, 3-window range. Rear elevation
substantially C17, with original doorway to left with plain
stone lintel, and two 3-light chamfered mullioned windows to
ground floor, and a further similar window above. Present
entrance towards right, in added porch, with lean-to service
room beyond obscuring possible further original fenestration.
Front elevation as remodelled in early C19: doorway to left of
centre, with arched panelled door in chamfered architrave. 3
windows on each floor, all 3-light casements in chamfered
stone architraves. Tooled angle quoins. Chamfered gable end
and axial (between the 2 right-hand units) stacks.
INTERIOR: has 3-room plan, with C17 stone hood to fireplace in
one room. One room has C17 wall-panelling (not in situ);
another has dado panelling, and a panelled chimney breast with
low-relief carved panel, and incorporating 2 fitted cupboards
probably assembled from fragments reworked during the C19.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the farm was originally part of the property
of the nearby Dieu-la-Cres Abbey. It was the property of
William Brough, a local silk manufacturer, in the C19, and it
is likely that he was responsible for its remodelling.
Although there is a datestone of 1849 over the doorway, the
house was shown in its present form in a watercolour dated
Listing NGR: SJ9879557336
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings