History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Paul

A Grade II Listed Building in Grange-over-Sands, Cumbria

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 54.1933 / 54°11'35"N

Longitude: -2.9098 / 2°54'35"W

OS Eastings: 340738

OS Northings: 477889

OS Grid: SD407778

Mapcode National: GBR 8M3Y.VK

Mapcode Global: WH83D.8VNP

Entry Name: Church of St Paul

Listing Date: 2 May 1975

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1269708

English Heritage Legacy ID: 460515

Location: Grange-Over-Sands, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA11

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland

Civil Parish: Grange-over-Sands

Built-Up Area: Grange-over-Sands

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Grange-over-Sands St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Kents Bank

Listing Text


705-1/4/12 (West side)
02/05/75 Church of St Paul


Church. 1853-4. By J Murray. North aisle said to be added in
1861, south aisle in 1867, and chancel in 1932 (Pevsner). West
porch dated 'MCMLI'. Snecked limestone with sandstone
dressings and slate roofs. Comprises a nave, north aisle and
south aisle under pitched roofs, a gabled porch at the west
end of the south aisle, and a lower chancel with polygonal
The west end has a buttress, between the nave and south aisle
gables, that rises to support a bell-turret with stone
spirelet. The nave and aisles have west windows with
Geometrical tracery (of 2 lights to the north aisle and 4
lights to the others). The single-storey porch has a mullioned
window of 3 lights facing west, a parapet, and a doorway in
its south wall. The north aisle has 4 bays to the west of the
vestry, with 2-light windows which have flowing tracery. The
south porch has a pointed window of 2 lights below a gable,
and a mullioned window of 4 trefoiled lights in a C20 eastern
extension. The east wall contains a re-set moulded pointed
doorway. The 3 bays of the south aisle have 2-light windows
with quatrefoils in their curved triangular heads. The east
window is of 4 lights and the 3-sided apse has a 3-light east
INTERIOR: the 5-bay arcades have pointed sandstone arches
chamfered in 2 orders, carried on paired brown marble columns
with sandstone capitals. The chancel arch is moulded and
pointed, with the inner order rising from wall corbels. The
roofs are boarded, with scissor-braced rafters. A tall pointed
arch divides the south aisle from the east chapel, which has 2
tall arches opening into the chancel. On the north side the
organ chamber has arched openings to the chancel and north
aisle. The font is of carved oak with an inset metal bowl and
carved timber cover. At the west end there are 2 pairs of
churchwardens' stalls with carved and crested canopies, and
wall panelling, all mid C20 and finely carved in oak.

Listing NGR: SD4073877889

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.