History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter and St Paul

A Grade II* Listed Building in Aldeburgh, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1549 / 52°9'17"N

Longitude: 1.6 / 1°36'0"E

OS Eastings: 646351

OS Northings: 256851

OS Grid: TM463568

Mapcode National: GBR YZX.WWM

Mapcode Global: VHM83.P36C

Entry Name: Church of St Peter and St Paul

Listing Date: 27 February 1950

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1269731

English Heritage Legacy ID: 460495

Location: Aldeburgh, Suffolk Coastal, Suffolk, IP15

County: Suffolk

District: Suffolk Coastal

Civil Parish: Aldeburgh

Built-Up Area: Aldeburgh

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Aldeburgh St Peter and St Paul

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Aldeburgh

Listing Text


ALDEBURGH

TM4656 VICTORIA ROAD
837-1/4/51 (North side)
27/02/50 Church of St Peter and St Paul

GV II*

Church. C14 west tower; nave, north aisle and north chapel
1525-29; south aisle and south chapel 1534-35; south porch
1539; chancel 1545. Restored 1870-71 by Henry Perkin and 1891
by EF Bishop.
Flint and pebble with ashlar dressings and some brick. Lead
roofs.
EXTERIOR: 3-stage tower supported by diagonal buttresses on a
flushwork-panelled base course. West doorway with moulded
jambs under a square hoodmould carved with shields and
quatrefoils in the spandrels. 3-light Perpendicular west
window, cinquefoiled ringing chamber openings and 2-light
renewed Perpendicular bell openings. Crenellated parapet.
Polygonal stair turret to south.
South porch of brick and flint, with 3 moulded arched openings
straddling pathway, those to east and west rebuilt 1952.
2-light Perpendicular east and west porch windows.
Aisles with 3-light Perpendicular windows, those to east and
west ends of 4 lights. Penultimate bay of south aisle with
blocked 4-centred doorway. Aisles with diagonal east and west
buttresses, stepped buttresses to flanks, crenellated
parapets. East ends of aisles flush with chancel east wall,
former with 4-light C19 Perpendicular windows, latter with
5-light C19 Perpendicular window.
Early C20 north vestry of one storey under crenellated
parapet. Moulded north aisle doorway.
INTERIOR: tall tower arch with polygonal responds and a
chamfer and hollow-chamfered arch. West gallery created 1840
by Robert Appleton from 6 bays of screen dado with cusped and
traceried panels with texts. 5-bay arcades of quatrefoil piers
with keel mouldings in diagonals; high polygonal bases,
polygonal capitals and moulded arches. 10-bay nave roof built
as a replica in 1934: arched braces to collars, 2 tiers of
butt purlins on basket-arched braces. Pitched aisle roofs with
roll-moulded principal beams, to north mainly C16, to south
mainly C19.
Elaborate octagonal pulpit of 1632 by John Garrard: tapering
pedestal base; arcaded panels to main body with strapwork
separated by strapwork muntins at corners over rich strapwork
aprons; overpanels each with carved fish and vine trails in
high relief and plain cornice on fretwork consoles. Curving


stairs have irontwist balusters and ramped handrail. C15
octagonal font: plain stem, bowl with alternating panels
depicting lions and angels bearing shields. C17 Readers' Desk:
4 by 2 arcaded panels decorated with dog tooth, strapwork
frieze and cornice.
MONUMENTS: to George Crabbe, the poet, d.1832: marble plinth
with bust, by Thomas Thurlow, made 1847.
South chapel: monument to Lady Henrietta Vernon, d.1786:
sarcophagus behind drapery folds; dark marble obelisk above
against which female figure leans upon an urn under flying
angel. Chancel and south chapel with late C15 poppyheads to
benches. 2 brasses at east end of nave, one of 1519, and other
palimpsests.
(Blythe R: Parish Church of St Peter & St Paul, Aldeburgh,
Suffolk: Southwold: 1988-; BOE: Pevsner N: Suffolk, 2nd
Edition: Harmondsworth: 1974-: 71-2).

Listing NGR: TM4635156851

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.