History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Downton Hall and Attached Balustrade

A Grade II* Listed Building in Stanton Lacy, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4094 / 52°24'33"N

Longitude: -2.6952 / 2°41'42"W

OS Eastings: 352807

OS Northings: 279274

OS Grid: SO528792

Mapcode National: GBR BL.PC52

Mapcode Global: VH83Y.7PJS

Entry Name: Downton Hall and Attached Balustrade

Listing Date: 12 November 1954

Last Amended: 21 June 1996

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1269833

English Heritage Legacy ID: 460376

Location: Stanton Lacy, Shropshire, SY8

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Stanton Lacy

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Stanton Lacy

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Hopton Cangeford

Listing Text


STANTON LACY

SO57NW Downton Hall and attached
1943-1/9/88 balustrade
12/11/54
(Formerly Listed as:
Downton Hall)

GV II*

House. Mid C18 with early C19 alterations. Brick with ashlar
detailing; Welsh slate roofs; various C19 composite stacks
with blue brick decoration. E-shaped on plan, with addition to
right.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys; 12-window range: late C19 1/1 sashes
under gauged brick flat arches with ashlar keyblocks; 3/3
sashes to second floor. Parapet with balustrade incorporating
Latin motto. Five C19 fixed windows with upper sashes to
ground floor; storey band. Advanced wings with late C19 6/6
sashes to ground and first floors; 3/3 sashes to second floor;
shouldered moulded architraves and sills with corbels;
returned storey band and parapet.
Wing to right: two 6/6 sashes to ground and first floors;
storey band; three 3/3 sashes to second floor. Parapet with
ball finials. Left returned side: central late C19 1/1 sash in
shouldered moulded architrave with corbelled sill, over C19
part-glazed double doors and plain overlight under enriched
tympanum and moulded stone open pediment hood on attached
columns, flanked by narrow 2/2 sashes in shouldered
architraves; 2 advanced canted bays, each with 3 tiers of late
C19 1/1 sashes in shouldered moulded architraves, and, to
ground floor centre, under pads and moulded flat hoods;
continuous storey band; returned parapet.
Rear: central margin-glazed double doors and overlight in
moulded architrave, flanked by coved alcoves and late C19 1/1
sashes, under portico with 2 Doric columns and pilasters; late
C19 1/1 sash over. Flanking advanced bays with 6/6 and 6/9
sash to left, and 1/1 sashes to right; bellcote; service wing
to left returned side; C18 and C19 lead rainwater goods
throughout.
INTERIOR: includes two rooms with very fine plasterwork and
fireplaces, in one case the walls are decorated with rococo
swags, trophies and roundels with relief portrait medallions
which frame pictures. Threr is a circular entrance hall wit
Ionic columns and marble fireplaces, a library with fitted
bookcases, and original staircases.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached balustrade links wings and
flanks steps to former central entrance.


Listing NGR: SO5280779274

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.